Project Sunroof (Solar value of a house)

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by jakc, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

Google launched Project Sunroof last week.

This allows you to understand how much savings you can get from installing solar on your roof and if your roof is potentially shaded from other surrounding structures. Also would let you compare savings in Melbourne Vs Brisbane, etc. Not yet available for Australia, but I would guess it might not be too far off.

Hanison and WattleIdo like this.
  2. mpiyer

mpiyer Member

Hello
    CSIRO has been working on a similar concept perhaps earlier than google. We have a more wide ranging tool looking at sustainability effectiveness for a home including solar, insulation, rainwater and council scale hot and cold spots. This is currently only available for the city of port phillip in melbourne but we are aiming to get more regions covered in australia. Check out a demo at: http://thermalweb.it.csiro.au/arcgis/myclimate/index.html

3. mpiyer

mpiyer Member

Available on desktops. We are working on a mobile friendly version.

DoubleD likes this.
  4. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

Thats great! I work over at Esri, so definitely got a keen interest as we have some tools that help with determining solar radiation potential. I see your using our older Flex API for the front end. Are you looking at moving to the Web ApBuilder for a more mobile friendly front end? Be interested to know if your using our Desktop tools for the analysis?

I wonder if it would be worth removing any of the solar radiation points that do not fall onto a building footprint? Or do some people put up panels somewhere other than their rooftops? Id love to get a small cut of your data to try and whip up some examples to show you on a private URL? Not trying to sell anything here, as I know you guys already have our software :)

Whats your thoughts on Google here? Has their efforts meant you might not be prioritising this project anymore or perhaps working with them? I like the fact that theirs hooks into Utilities providers to actually provide user the option to switch or contact a solar company during the process. I wonder if SolarCity will venture over to Australia or a similar equvalent pop up...

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2015
  5. mpiyer

mpiyer Member

Hi Jakc
    Would be worth taking this conversation offline. My email is [email protected]
    If you can send me a message we could potentially discuss a way to catch up and share information and ideas.

6. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

Cool, have sent you email. Probably worth you removing the email address from prior post as crawlers search these out and add you to weird mailing lists.