Project managing a sub-division

Discussion in 'Development' started by New271016, 3rd Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. New271016

New271016 Member

Hi there, I'm thinking of doing a subdivision, but I'm now not likely to be in town much due to work travels. So I may need to get the subdividing process project managed - the demolition, headworks to satisfy WAPC approvals etc. I'm thinking the surveyors such as Land Division, Vision and others which I've seen in the forum will project manage. Does anyone have any experience with a surveyor project managing the subdivision and did it go ok? Many thanks

Colin Rice likes this.
  2. g-dub

g-dub Well-Known Member

There is a lot of work that will need to be managed before you start any site works. There are lots of consultants that can manage the whole process for you. Get in contact with a few, let them know what you want and see if they can accommodate. If you don't have a lot of experience in the process you could ask them to reverse brief you on the whole thing i.e. tell you what you need to get done rather than you telling them what you want.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I had a surveying/town planning company submit the pack to the council to address all of the requirements for the titling of the two blocks in Brisbane. They provided me with contact details for each company to get certificates etc and I sent them to the town planner to send to council. I could've appointed them to do the entire process but I wanted to learn what was involved.

Expect for it to take longer to get done as you will just be one client of the business and depending on their workload it could take some time for them to process everything.
    FYI I'm in Sydney and organised everything remotely.

For the subdivision component, which included running stormwater through a neighbours' yard, I asked the engineers to tender out the work. for a few hundred dollars they contacted their preferred professionals with what was required and I then chose who to go with. Having the trades/professionals know each other already made it easier to step out of the ring with giving them instructions. Like the titling above, I could've paid the engineers a project management fee.

melbourne171 likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think this is relatively easy to solve if you have the right team on your side. Happy to provide some suggestions via PM.

Sackie and Tufan Chakir like this.
  5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi @New271016 , happy to point you in the right direction if need be. I can recommend a few surveyors etc. You may find that you can manage it all yourself once you get a few people here on PC offering a helping hand.

Aconis and Colin Rice like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Tip #1....I have seen many people get to a stage when they run out of cash. Plan it first and includes taxes and fees, permits etc then subdivide :) You cant borrow on expected sales and need the cash for council contributions etc also before the sales proceeds arrive.

eg Recent client had to replace gutters and footpaths (that were not existing before). Due to tree species hand digging and formwork meant cost was $45K not $12K. Not in budget, no cash... Stalled three months waiting for funds. Holding costs by now are $200K at 5.25%...Thats a further $48K cash needed. and so on....

Colin Rice, Perthguy and LifesGood like this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep, you need to assume there will be blowouts and have contingencies in place which essentially is access to cash. If no access to extra cash then arrange affairs before commencing so you do.

8. New271016

New271016 Member

Thank you everyone for your replies. Certainly lots to think about here. Now, because I am new to this forum (and any forum for that matter!), how do I do a PM? Silly question I know... Am hoping to get some recommended contacts via Colin and Lyndon above.

9. LifesGood

"Start conversation". It gets everyone! ;)

10. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Where are you based, Lyndon?

11. LifesGood

@samiam im mobile! Usually around Osborne Park Myaree during the day unless I'm seeing clients.

samiam likes this.
  12. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Oh ok. I am in NSW....

LifesGood likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia