Project Manager, Building Inspector, Quantity Surveyor for 4 townhouse development

Discussion in 'Development' started by AnneC, 26th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Hi manoevring our way through the development process. Have obtained planning permit. Work drawings , engineering drawings all complete. Our architect did prepare a basic form of a specification list. Have approached a number of builders. Closer to choosing a builder but wanting to make sure all included in contract.
    Bank has told us that only a specific type of contract will be acceptable and that we need to employ a quantity surveyor . We feel we need a project manager. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced project manager in Melbourne ?

Thanks,

AnneC

2. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

For those of you who have employed a Project manager, how often do they visit the site?

One project manager that we spoke to recently said fortnightly. ???

3. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Why can't your Architect administer the contract? This is the traditional role of an Architect, and what they are trained for.
    Architects were doing this long before project managers came alone and some of us still do!

4. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Bank requires Quantity Surveyor. Our architect is not available. Did not want to be paying 2 lots of fees. It is a small job .

5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Anne, a project manager will monitor the build.
    The bank might want a Quantity Surveyor involved to run an eye over the builder's quote and perhaps do a cost plan. They then often visit the property at key stages so that funds can be released.
    If you want a QS who does this sort of thing, give me a yell. I'll put you onto one of our Melbourne guys.
    Scott

Tufan Chakir and AnneC like this.
  6. Jara

Jara Member

Hi AnneC, I recently completed a townhouses development myself and I also have a degree in Construction Management.

The banks will only allow you to use a Quantity Surveyor (QS) to overlook your development not an Architect. The bank will use a QS as a building professional to ensure works are progressing under the contract and they are not over paying the builder for works that have not been complete.

The QS will manage all the Contract Administration for your project i.e. review progress claims, variations, delay claims, programs, etc and submit a monthly report to the bank prior to the release of payment to the builder. They will also notify the bank on how the project in progressing.

So even though you are paying the QS fees ultimately they are working for the bank not you.

This is only a small development, however if you don't feel you are experienced enough to project manage the job yourself, I think a good idea is to ask the same QS firm you will be using to also provide you with Project Management services for the project. It will be for a fee but I think that will work out well and reduce the costs if you were to engage a totally different company. They want to see the project delivered for the bank and they could also assist you with any issues that you may have with your builder.

As long as there is consistent communication via telephone or email (when needed) than a inspection every fortnight is enough. Remember the QS will already be inspecting the site every month or so when the Builder submits their Progress Claims. So another inspection in between is a good idea as it lets the builder know that someone is present and checking progress and quality.

I would also recommend that you are Cc on all correspondence between the builder and Project Manager. If you want to be a little more precise and take extra caution have the Project Manager present when the Building Certifier is also on site inspecting the building work prior to pouring the footing and slabs, frame inspections, waterproofing, covering of stormwater pipes, etc.

Unfortunately I cannot recommend a QS in Melbourne because I live in Sydney. But best to speak with your bank/ bank manager and have them recommend a 3 - 4 companies they have used in the past. That's how I got a hold of my QS and they were very competent.

All the best

7. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Hi Jara, happy to manage the project, having built before. However, there is this requirement from the bank to use an ABIC contract and Quantity Surveyor . Our understanding is that these contracts must be administered by a Project Manager. Have been speaking to a Project Manager and we did suggest being ccd in all correspondence to and from the builder. He only wanted to cc us whenever he responded to the builder.
    On another note, the bank may accept a Project Manager only . If this is the case, is once a fortnight sufficient to oversee the project . This is what this Project Manager is recommending.
    Thanks, Anne

8. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Thank you , I will email you for the name of a QS in Melbourne. Thanks

9. Jara

Jara Member

Hi Anne,

I have not worked with a ABIC, however looks like your bank wants this administered the same way as an AS2124 and AS4000 under a superintendent (project manager).

As long as your Project Manager is available to answer emails and telephone calls, fortnightly progress meetings are sufficient and fairly standard.

AnneC likes this.
  10. AnneC

AnneC Well-Known Member

Th
    Thank you

11. JHC

JHC Member

FYI - your bank should be able to provide a panel of acceptable QS firms which should narrow your selection right down

12. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Strange the architect is not available - it's a normal part of the service (is the architect really an architect, or a drafter/designer?)
    QS is different to a superintendent/architect/project manager.
    QS will value the works at a particular time, and provide a statement to the bank to allow draw downs commensurate with the value of the works at that time

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.