Project homes - Eden brae

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dan2101, 7th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Just someone who thinks they are better than everyone else. Good luck to him. I have seen some really good trades on project home sites and I have also seen some really bad trades on multi million dollar homes with cut onsite frames, so it is just a stupid statement to make.

2. Brian84

I agree.

3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Our bricks were done by one of the best in the business. The guy also does display homes for Metricon :). We aren't complaining :D

Brian84 likes this.
  4. Brian84

I have built display homes and also done decks on display homes as well.

Property Twins likes this.
  5. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

So tell us how much they pay you to stand up the frames on a 4x2x2 single level home?

5k tops if you are lucky.

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Aug, 2016
  6. Brian84

Not bad money when we do singles in a day and a half. I mainly do double storey homes. We do them in 5-6days

7. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

@Speede if for example you live on the central coast of nsw you can:

A) choose to commute to Sydney for a full weeks work

B) scratch around for work on the central
    Coast - some weeks you'll be busy others you'll have a day or 2 work

C) work full time for a project home company and have guaranteed work

Some people need guaranteed 5 days a week work as they have home loans to pay, family etc. Possibly educate yourself a bit better before you make stupid claims.

Brian84 likes this.
  8. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

2 days to do a single. 3-4 guys. Plus anything else that gets missed and you got to come back for fixing.....5k IF feeling lucky before costs.

9. Brian84

Yea and your cut onsite frames if you even do them have big overheads because you have to order, workout and supply all of your materials. If the builder goes bust then you are out of pocket a lot of money.

10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The project home guys do a good job considering what you pay these days. Much better than 20 or 30 years ago where a project home was just a cheap house and it showed.

Where they fall down is on finishing trades, you have to be lucky to get a good tiler, brick layer etc.

Brian84 likes this.
  11. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Not everyone can do cut on site. Thats the thing smart/good carpenters do cut on site ONLY.

Project builders go bust no different. A cut on site carpenter wouldn't bother with 5k.

12. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Or gyprockers....most don't even use glue....or they set everything in a day and 6 months later cracks everywhere.

13. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Yes that true, my house is actually an Eden Brae and it has cornice cracks everywhere.

Having said that I grew up in a wog monster full brick house, no expense spared and it had a lot of problems too. Whatever you built it all starts going to **** after a decade or so anyway.

14. bdydrp

bdydrp Well-Known Member

Just because a carpenter can do cut onsite frames, doesn't mean they are better - i've seen some bad cut onsite frames and even some cut onsite roofs.
    Like Brian said earlier, if your a decent chippy, you have the builders ringing you to do work. There's no chasing work and 9/10 times all your materials are there ready to go. Nothing to organise, turn up do the work, go home, get paid

ej89, Brian84 and bob shovel like this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do builders normally push for the best work on their display homes? I looked at some in Jordan springs a few years ago and thought they were very average, especially for their display houses. The stand outs were the brick work was very rough and the guide dog could have done a better job on the skirting

Brian84 likes this.
  16. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Nothing to organise? Workers? Insurances? Risk of injury to workers? Workers not turning up because the night before high on drugs.

17. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

They do...because thats how they get customers....showing superior work...when they win a contract they get the cheapest trade to do the work in the less possible time.

18. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

That's what i thought but i said they didn't do a good job.

And to add to the rest, i worked for a gyprocker and we worked on the cheap project homes up to million dollar joints, quality number ! Yes we used glue. So it's the luck of the draw which tradie you get but up to the builder to supervise and manage

bdydrp likes this.
  19. bdydrp

bdydrp Well-Known Member

You need to organise all this regardless of working for a project builder or not.

Having nothing to organise as in, its the site supervisors job to ensure works are ready for each stage, its his job to ensure materials are onsite ready and that each trade is booked in ready to go.
    As the chippy, really you just need to turn and everything should be ready to start.

Brian84 likes this.
  20. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

To the OP. I personally wouldn't go Eden Brae if selling immediately.. Go a cheaper builder like Allworth. I'd recommend New Living homes though. Affordable and have a great name and reputation and great facades and inclusions for much less than Eden Brae. Only difference would be the frames would be 75mm instead of 90mm but if you're selling honestly nobody will even know.