Project homes - Eden brae

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by dan2101, 7th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just looking to put a project home on a development block on the central coast. Single storey. Budget is about $270k.

Had a look at a few from Eden brae and liked their designs.

Anyone have any horror stories or positives for any of the project home companies?

Extras to look out for/take into consideration?

Cheers!

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@dan2101 - Eden Brae are known to be one of the good ones. Recently built with Metricon. Not the cheapest, however we got quality results. At the end of the day, it will come down to your site manager.

Your budget seems to be on the lower end. Are you looking to do any upgrades? They don't include most electrical costs in the base cost. Are site costs included in this price?

Is this for IP or to live in?

Have you taken into account the budget for post hand over jobs such as : further electricals, blinds, security doors and landscaping?

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Aug, 2016
    Brian84 likes this.
  3. dan2101

Thanks msali,

Budget is basically just for the build (not including blinds etc. I've noticed they have 2 prices - one just for the build that doesn't include any site costs, floor coverings, Basix, outdoor areas then another price with some extras.

The budget is just the build. We have additional funds for the subdivision, landscaping and driveway as we have the skills to do this ourselves. Basically just after the basic build then we will add soMe extras ourselves.

We are just flipping this property so just want a finish that is good enough to pass the inspection of the average joe off the street.

What's the build time normally. I know what they quote but is this the reality or is it likely to blow out?

Thanks!

4. Property Twins

@dan2101 - Eden Brae would be up there I believe and would float the boat for an average Joe.

Typically builders say 32 weeks build period + 5 weeks x-mas shut down period + rain days. Though I'd imagine single story ought to be much faster!!

Our costs didn't blow out from what the builder said - especially things like site costs. It depends if your area is flooded etc? Would you need extra height or retaining walls?

The only things that really can be called a blow out were the tiles as we didn't like the basics they were offering.

Check out the Home One forum - tho mostly home owners there.

EN710 likes this.
  5. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

While I haven't had any dealings with them recently, from what i know, Eden Brae is one of the rare builders who provide a complete build price. Once the contract is signed I believe you are not up for any additional charges or variations. If I was to build again I'd go with EB or Rawson

dan2101 likes this.
  6. dan2101

Great thanks @MsAli

You hear the horror stories but I've heard mostly positive things about Metricon and Eden brae.

Seems like a fairly reasonable build time which would have it ready by next spring once it all goes trough council.

It's not flood prone but we'd possibly need to build a retaining wall all at the bottom of the bloke as air has a slight slope. We'd probably sort that ourselves.

Thanks for the tips I'll definitely check the website!

Thanks
    Dan

Property Twins likes this.
  7. dan2101

Thanks @beachgurl thats what I like too. Seemed like a solid price unless you chose better finishes down the track.

8. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I have been doing Eden braes framing since they first started. They are a good company to work for and look after their trades which makes the trades care more about the job. They do have some nice designs. I would buy an Eden brae myself and I know a few people that have them already and are happy with them.

dan2101 likes this.
  9. Property Twins

Brian - do you do private builds also?

10. Brian84

I do private work as in framing of new homes. I am not licenced yet to do the whole build, but I am in the process of doing my builders licence course and should have it by early next year.

Property Twins likes this.
  11. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Eden Brae are one of the better ones...........BUT..........all project builders are dodgey....quick builds and working on numbers.

12. Brian84

How are all project home builders dodgey?

bdydrp likes this.
  13. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

You do the framing for a project builder. Framing one of the most important things during a build. Please tell me what timber is used?

Most of the gyprockers are bad,tilers....etc. Most trades that work for project builders are 2nd tier. No good tradie will work for a project builder..........because the good ones are earning good coin without doing 500 homes a year like a slave.

14. Brian84

That is the most stupid thing I have heard. So first of all your saying I'm a bad Tradie.

I do project home work because I have work everyday of the week and I don't have to chase work or quote jobs.

Yes the timber used in the framing isn't as good as Oregon but you get what you pay for. It doesn't mean that every single tradie or project home builder is dodgey.

BobTheBuilder likes this.
  15. Property Twins

Great. One of my ex colleagues does builds and may be keen to network with you if you're open.

16. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

A good carpenter does cut on site. A good carpenter will charge good money.............a project builder will never pay good money. A good carpenter will have builders ringing him for work not other way around.

17. Brian84

Sounds great. Feel free to send me a message and I will get in contact whenever they are ready.

18. Brian84

Did you read my last comment. It says I don't have to chase work, which means they ring me. I'm earning pretty good coin so I'm not complaining.

19. Brian84

I can do cut onsite as well.

20. Property Twins

Our neighbour does frames. He said he walked through our site when the frames were done and he was really impressed....so seems like a blanket statement to assume all trades won't be good.

Brian84 likes this.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.