Producing ID when selling

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by geoffw, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I haven't sold a place for some years - so now that we are selling an IP, I have as asked to produce drivers licence plus passport or birth certificate. That's no problem at all for me, I was just surprised. Apparently it's the result of people selling houses they didn't really own, and stealing the identity of an absent owner to do so.

2. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

its a new law apparently. yes

I have been asked by two conveyancers to do that too

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I've never been asked but I suppose you can hang out at the mailbox when the postie arrives.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It's been in place for a while now and it's a damn good thing in my opinion. It should be extended further and there the process could be made simpler or more collaborative.

For example, real estate agents should also need all parties to produce some basic ID (seller and purchaser) and frankly agents need training in this. I can't tell you the number of times a sales contract is missing a middle name.

It should also be possible for one trusted source to identify the person and for that information to be appropriately distributed. In many cases, I will ID the client, so will the conveyancer, so will the bank. It's a bit redundant and time consuming, especially when they're all in different locations. It would be so easy to get one party to ID the client (ideally face to face), then to share that info with the other parties.

geoffw likes this.
  5. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

there are 3 options to do that and postie is not one of them... you can pop into a postie shop though