Process to install sub meter for power and water to granny flat Sydney

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Minh, 18th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Minh

Minh Member

Hi all, I live in Sydney and have a granny for rent. From experience with previous tenants, I encountered the bills for water and electricity are a bit high. Therefore, i am thinking about installing sub meter for power and water to the granny flat.

My question is if it is possible to have single account for electricity and water but both dwellings if having sub meters.

What could be the cost for installation?

Any recommendation for cheap and reliable electricians and plumbers near Granville area?

Thanks so much

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

No separate account for water but flow meter to the granny flat, yes. Your PM can read the flow meter and adjust the bill to the house accordingly. Electricity meter for the granny flat can be installed in the house’s box if there’s room. So separate electricity accounts can be achieved this way.
    You’re using cheap and reliable in the same sentence to describe your ideal sparky. You’re confusing me. Just get a couple of quotes. It will depend on how your existing sparky wired things originally.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Do it properly.

Installation of a new electricity meter from the main breaker (additional NMI).

New tapping into the mains for water.

This achieves separation of the services and each property gets the authority to bill the respective charges.

Won't be cheap but there's no argument over cost to the tenants.

krispy likes this.
  4. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

My PM just told me the NSW law about charging usage based on sub-meter reading is about to change. She says the draft is in progress. I didn’t ask for proof.

As per new law landlords will no longer be able to charge tenants water usage if secondary property doesn’t have its own water meter account.

So even if you a submeter off mains for the granny flat you won’t be able to charge water usage.

Got this information from my PM last week.

P j T likes this.