Process to formally recognise extra bedroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by D&J, 22nd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

Hey all

I currently have a room with no natural light so will be adding a large opening skylight. I understand as per building codes the natural light source needs to be at least 10% of the room size for it to be legally classified as a bedroom.

Once I've installed the skylight, if I was to sell the house, would the agent simply market the property with the extra bedroom or does this need to be formally approved or recognised in being compliant before doing so, if so, what's the process for this. Private certifier?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You need to comply with both natural lighting and ventilation requirements of the building codes (possibly other requirements too eg parking, and any condition in the original development approval).

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Does the room “fit” the general expectation of a bedroom ignoring the light and ventilation factor?
    Is it close to the other bedrooms?
    Is bathroom access close and relatively private?
    If you have several children, is this bedroom of similar size and appeal?

We have inspected hundreds of houses in our time, and some “bedrooms”, while legally correct, are far from what fits the normal idea of a bedroom. I am talking about rooms tacked on the back of a house, a room off a laundry, a bigger bedroom carved into two tiny ones, space partitioned off the living room etc.
    Marg

thydzik likes this.
  4. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

Yes it definitely is Marg. It was originally a bedroom with a window but boarded up as when the house was extended, they added the bathroom to where the window was opening out to.

Edit: will be opening so should also satisfy a y ventilation concerns, however I believe there is no legal requirement for it actually open

I think the subject is somewhat misleading for what I actually wanted to ask lol

The reason I ask is because the internal and external dimensions of the skylight exceeds 10%, the actually glass dimensions are marginally less than 10%

Am I nitpicking and overthinking this if I am only concerned about being able to market this as 3 bedrooms in the event we sell down the line?

Last edited: 22nd Jul, 2019
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A phone call to your local council or building authority should clear this up.
    Marg

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Depending on the state and council a development application will be required prior to any works occurring. Take care since the council can order demolition and reinstatement before they approve the works. Changes to the layout of a property is not exempt despite many people thinking they can make changes like those reno TV shows.

7. Scott No Mates

Aust Building Code Part 3.8.5 - Linky

Source: National Construction Code.

8. Scott No Mates