Pro rata tax query

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Martinez22, 25th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Martinez22

Martinez22 Well-Known Member

Hi, if anyone knows the answer that'd be great.
    When going from full time to part time (3 days a week)

How do I work out the new salary? what is the standard number of hours in a month?

For instance, pay will be 3 days per week (7.5 hours) pro rata of 75K gross annual income

Last edited: 25th Apr, 2020
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

wouldn't it be hourly rate x hours worked?

3. Martinez22

Hey Terry, except don’t know what the hourly rate would be.

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I would ASSUME....

(based on this being staff position and the sick and annual leave are also accrued on the time part time basis, then...)

5 days per week at 7.5 hours (including leave accruals)) is your $75k per year.. so, I *think* if you go 3 days and the accruals are also pro-rata'd on the same basis, then it would just be 3/5ths of the $75k?

so $75k over 5 times 3 = $45k per year?

Or an other way, to work it hourly, (7.5 hours per day x5 = 37.5 hours per week) = $75k per year = $38.46 per hour.

3x 7.5 hour days = 22.5 hours per week at $38.46 per hour = $865.35 per 3 day week = $45k per year.

Feels right to me, but depends on the leave acrual agreement when you go part time.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Standard working weekly hours varies. Could be 38 hours, 36 hours 45 minutes for public servants or 35 hours for others or zip for those on the dole.

If you were previously working 38 hours per week then your hourly rate would be $37.95

75000 / 52 weeks / 38 = $37.95

So basically what you need to know is how many hours a week you were previously working.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

7. Propagate

Archaon likes this.
  8. Martinez22

Thanks for the responses! Also question, if your working 3 days a week (7.5 per day) how many hours would that work out to be in a month? Just trying to verify some figures

9. Propagate

For an exact figure, depends on which month, (28 days, 30 days or 31 days or 29 for Feb in a leap year).

Roughly there's 4.33333 weeks in a month (52 weeks per year divide by 12 months), so lets say 3 days x 7.5 hours per day x 4.3333 weeks per month = 97.5 hours

If you're paid fortnightly though, you'll have 10 moths of 2x pay fortnights and 2 months of 3x pay fortnights per year, so effectively you'd have 10 months of 90 hour months and 2 months of 135 hour month if that makes sense?

Martinez22 likes this.
  10. Martinez22

Hmm , very confusing.

I used to work 173.33 hours full time then it got reduced to 91.2 based on 3 days a week. Trying to work out if that is correct

11. Propagate

Sounds low to me.

173.33 hours per month is 2080 hours a year, which is 40 hours per week.

40 hours per week is 8 hour per day.

Now, 3 dyas per week = 3 x 8 = 24 hours per week.

24 hours per week, times 52 weeks = 1248 hours per year, divide by 12 is 104 hours per month, not 91.2

91.2 hours per month is 21 hours per week, are you being asked to go from 5x 8 hour days to 3x 7 hour days?

Based on your full time 40 hour week being 8 hour days, then a 3 day pro-rata week should simply be 3 x8 hour days, which equates to 104 hours per month.

Martinez22 likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

7.6 hours a day. 8hrs isnt Fair Work act compliant. Comparing rates of pay can be a bit George Colombaris if you depart from the award standards. 7.6hrs is best adopted. If the employer is a company its not optional as FW standards are required.
    38hpw
    26wpf/n
    52wpa
    1976hr per annum

Annual Leave (FT)
    Accrue hous of leave for each work hour = 0.076923076 (half that for parental & sick leave, DV etc

Adjust as required for PT staff
    Adjust as required for casual including loading (no leave of course)

Monthly is quite different. Divide all entitlements by 12. (146.6667 hours a month) and a standard day is 7.6 hours (Hence the FWA)

When switching from / to monthly always remember non-monthly are paid in arrears where monthly should be paid half in arrears and half in advance on 15th (Fair Work Act). But switching from FT to PT shouldnt impact this other than the change date which is best made on the 1st of the month so it doesnt affect calcs of what was paid previously.

Last edited: 27th Apr, 2020
  13. Martinez22

Sounds to me my current employer has stooged me. Thanks for clarifying how it all works, I will be making a move elsewhere and just wanted to confirm what the new pro rata amount would be.. much appreciated !

14. Martinez22

Question, is a meal break inclusive of the 7.6 or is that unpaid ?

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lunch break is unpaid. 7.6hours is the paid period of work. Most employment agreements are drafted to avoid a fixed start and end time but specify the regular attendance hours eg 8:30 am to 5:00pm as an example (and make mention of the paid period and expectancy for attendance to meet that requirement). Alternatives may use a fixed start time and includes terms which allow the employee some lattitude (but then wont mention a fixed end time). A good letter may also allow a employee to bank or make up time in an agreed manner to allow family flexible policies to be operational within the needs of the employer.

I would share a template letter but it is drafted by a law firm and would breach copyright. The importance of using (and maintaining) a letter drafted by a employment lawyer is quite important. Many letters will now fail the family and domestic violence leave provisions which grant 5 days a year under the National Employment Standards (NES)

Job policies in the area of family and leave due to domestic violence
    Some companies may provide paid or unpaid family and domestic violence leave entitlement in their employment contracts or workplace guidelines. The amount of vacation and payment entitlement depends on the contract or policy.

If an employment contract or workplace directive provides less than the minimum entitlement in the National Employment Standards (NES), the NES entitlement continues to apply.

Example: Workplace guidelines for family and leave due to domestic violence
    An employee is entitled to 5 days of unpaid leave each year under the NES.

Her employer also has a family and domestic violence leave policy that gives female workers a right to 2 days of unpaid vacation each year.

The entitlement of the worker under the NES is more than the policy of her employer. This means you are entitled to 5 days a year.