Education & Work Private vs. Public School

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Morgs, 18th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I have prepared a spreadsheet with someone's help, Ca I copy paste here @Simon Hampel

if I copy paste- I loose the borders etc.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Can't really embed spreadsheets - either take a screenshot and upload that, or perhaps upload the spreadsheet to Google Docs and link to that.

3. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Simon Hampel , i may nees to learn a different language to work with google docs 20180219_132402.jpg

4. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hello all I try to conduct school segmentation and hope to see your opinion.

@Gockie @Travelbug and anyone else please feel free to comment 20180219_132522.jpg

bob shovel likes this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You could try this
    Option 1. Paste in this link to change the language:
    https://myaccount.google.com/language?continue=https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/my-drive

Option 2, if this doesn't work (I'm showing positions on the page so that you can find it with Japanese):
    .Go to drive.google.com
    .Click on the cog wheel, top RHS, second from top
    .The top option from the drop-down should be "settings". Select it.
    .The pop up box which appears in the middle of your page has several options. The third one down should be langaage. Click on it.

AFter either option:
    Click on the pencil icon on the RHS of the second option. Select your language (English) and then select the variety (Australia etc). Click on "Select" on the bottom RHS.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I can't read it unfortunately!

Travelbug likes this.
  7. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

May be this will work
    20180219_132448.jpg

8. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @geoffw - i will try tonight

9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

10. Gockie

So what do you personally want for your kids? Private school/Catholic/other independent school/Good government high school?

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Just got back from Cumberland high school. Pretty impressed with the vision and plans for the students.

12. Gockie

Larry - what other school options do you have?

13. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Selective school that means we have to move to area where the catchment of K-6 can get us into good public school then some tution and after year 6 somewhere in BH, Cerrybrook or carlingford. I know long way to go and also depends on how our child is in studies-is he inclined towards this ir he has his own interest. We do nit want to force but want to guide and assist , thats all but fir ys Selective schools are bug win.

14. Gockie

I'm stuggling to understand what you wrote....
    Let me say selective high schools don't have catchment areas but Parramatta high school is semi selective.
    A primary school with a good reputation certainly isn't a bad thing, but coaching/tuition might actually be the factor whether your kid makes it into a selective school or not. And coaching... well, parents of kids in some primary schools will be more inclined to enrol their kids in coaching than parents from other schools.
    If your kid doesn't make it into a selective school, I'd then consider a good independent (if you are that way inclined) or a good government school. And for that (a well regarded government school), you need to live in the catchment area.

L3ha7 likes this.
  15. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

I see some don't think private schools lead to good networks. My experience is the opposite. I went to a private school (only 10-12k per year) and I found that my friendship group are all very successful well connected people. They usually have parents who are the same. I have also seen parents who are adept at networking squeeze more value out of private schools.

That being said my kids will go to public school up to year 6 and then onto private from year 7 onwards.

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

We're in the Cumberland's catchment. Carlingford and Muirfield are out of catchment but we're keen to find out more. Arden is the other one. Having said that, we secured a place at Tara. I think my daughter will do fine whether in private or public...so gotta feel the vibe. haaa

17. Gockie

Hmmm. ... tough call

18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

We’ve tried elite private schools, public schools and now cheaper private schools.

Honestly I see no difference, I’m the greatest influence in my kids lives irrespective of the school. They are there to do the basic basics so just choose whatever is most convenient.

The great thing however about the cheaper high school is no uniforms. I absolutely despise uniforms. Kids never have control over them and it’s an added time wasting thing to my already full schedule. It’s easier if they just wore whatever they find rather than having to ensure some exact thing is right there.

19. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

Couldn't have agreed more, parents are the defining factor to instill good value and work ethics for kids.

Xenia and bob shovel like this.
  20. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Sometimes parents being the greatest influence in their childrens live can actually be a bad thing.