Education & Work Private vs. Public School

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Morgs, 18th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Very good point. I wonder how effective outsourcing is:eek: and long term effects

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of the 'Mt Druitt' model - 2 stay at home parents setting a good example. :oops:

NHG, datto, Lacrim and 4 others like this.
  3. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

4. Scandrew

Scandrew Well-Known Member

My wife and I both went to public schools. We turned out ok - I guess? Though, she went to the top ranking whereas mine was considered "disadvantaged" :oops:

For me the important thing is the culture of the school and the families of the children that put their kids in the school my kids will mix with as they will spend a big chunk of their early (influential) stages of life at school. Private/Public, it doesn't matter to me. It's just depends on the most suitable option for our family based on where we live.

We've decided to enrol my daughter into the local Catholic school as the demographics of the local public schools have changed since I last went there. I was also happy with the orientation day and the little extra attention to detail approach they have. If she does well, I'm happy for her to attend the local selective school as my sister/cousins went there and they turned out ok? haha

5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

i picked mine because it is closest to our house. 300m. no brainer.

Angel and Scandrew like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

We have 3 within that radius. We didn't choose any of them and 'went out of area'.

larrylarry likes this.
  7. larrylarry

We were told to go out of area because of their potential. Well it worked out well for us.

8. MelBella

MelBella Member

Victorian private school fees edge towards $40,000

:eek:

Child 1 was in private school overseas until year 9. Selective public school from year 9 when we moved to Australia in 2009.

Child 2 goes to a reasonably good public school. Average student. Extremely introverted. Private would not have suited.

9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

For the record we've gone public. I've heard in either case we were supposed to have been on the waiting list for private schools 5 years ago if we wanted any chance of admission..... but we'll meet with a couple of options with a view to what high school might look like...

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

11. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

12. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

There is a HUGE difference in public schools. I worked (teacher) in a school in western Sydney. One teacher kept telling parents of the top kids in her class that they were gifted. I knew from experience that they were not. They just seemed gifted compared to the cohort. Those parents were in for a big shock when their kids did the Basic Schools test (NAPLAN now).

For the last 15 years I worked at a school which had a reputation for high achievements. The "average" kids at the school were way above the average. Many parents are professionals. People have even paid locals electricity bills to get their name on the bill to gain entry to the school.

So when making the decision public or private check out which public school VS which private school. There are many public schools that have students that ace the HSC (but i know it's not just about numbers). And others where I wouldn't send my kids.

The selective entrance test is taken in Year 4- For placement in years 5 and 6. Remember though it's just a class in a school. Yes your child will be working with people at a similar level but a class is only as good as the teacher. If they are at a great school they are getting this anyway.

bob shovel and Gockie like this.
  13. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

@Travelbug thank you for your detailed reply and highlighting some facts.

As an experienced Teacher -What is your opinion on those school ranking websites? Do they give the clear picture?

Given that there is Huge difference in public schools then is it safe to assume that schools in regional areas maynot be upto the par with schools where average student is way above the acerage norm?

Is it ok if I pm you to get some clarity?

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is true. A neighbour of mine (Background: Papua New Guinea) lived in Cairns for many years. 2 kids. The girl was easily top of the grade there. State representative in Netball. The boy (not academically inclined) was finding getting any work very hard. My neighbour said its very much a case of employers giving their friends the jobs, so having Papua New Guinea background (dark skinned), nobody would give him a go.

They ended up moving to my neighbourhood in Sydney.
    The boy: no problems getting a job. The girl, she was in year 10 attending Cheltenham Girls High School. She said: "Mum, i'll have to give up my sports, because this school is so much more competitive". She was no longer easily first. Also I think the work they were doing was probably more advanced.

Anyway, so she's academically inclined and with her cohort, managed to get 98 in the HSC. Apparently they don't offer the same standard of education in Cairns, no HSC style exams to really test the kids (I'm not sure since this seems weird, but anyway).

She easily got into law at uni, and had no issues getting a part time retail job either.

So yes, where (country town or regional or city) you attend school can make a huge difference. And some public schools are better than others.

Travelbug likes this.
  15. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

35k /yr for private school.....pffft.... no thanks.

Not every child will be a "professional" for a start. Even for those that will, Uni selection is far more important.

16. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

and coming from asia, australian literacy and numerical exams at hsc... peanuts.. some of the stuff in high school kids in asia are learning in primary.. BUT its not about numbers and languages.

western aka australian education system encourage outside classroom activity. example Sports music drama arts etc etc, i find this just as important.. also kids from western "system" tend to encourage questioning and being more "brave" to try things.

balance is key my fellow parents... balance.

orangestreet likes this.
  17. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

So bottom line is CITY schools/education is better than country/regional areas and Hills district/North Shore has much higher level of school standards compared to let's say Penrith ???? Or is there any other dimension? (Excluding the kids-i do understand not all kids are on same level but as a parents we all want to provide the best we can as per the circumstances).

18. larrylarry

Now my eldest in Year 6... we are scrambling to find suitable schools in and around our catchment. such headaches!

19. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Just to clarify I am inly talking about public/selective/grammer schools not private.

20. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hi @larrylarry -which part of Sydney you belong to?