Education & Work Private vs. Public School

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Morgs, 18th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if there has been discussion on this previously (couldn't see one in a search) so apologies if I'm covering old ground.

I'm curious to know what the general opinion is amongst the property investor community on private school. I'd imagine the sheer cost would put this option out of bounds for many families, but that aside...

Do you (or would you consider) send your children to private school at a cost of up to $35k per child per year? Do you see the education providing better life outcomes in a way that justifies the cost?

Or are you happy with the public system and look upon this money as something you'd be able to derive a better return on which will improve the life of your family?

Any thoughts welcome!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We sent our oldest to private school. It was less than half the cost of the elite private schools but a very good school without the snob factor. We chose that school over very good local public schools due to his personality and on advice from teachers to pick a smaller, private school rather than a large public school.

We chose it for the welcoming atmosphere and small school vibe and not due to any perceived idea the education would be any better. And we are not "old school tie" types at all, so it was not for any perceived career progression down the track.

Would we do the same now? Not for $35k a year.

It was a fair chunk of cash 17 years ago and the fees rose every year. This school underwent a massive building programme and today, we wouldn't likely choose it if we had to send him there now.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Im a public kid, both my kidlets went to a private skool

private or public per se I dont think matters that much subject to the actual skool, much more important I believe is what example is shown at home and in the family's circles........

35 k PA cant fix that

ta
    rolf

Colin Rice, Anne11, Sackie and 7 others like this.
  5. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

IF you can get in to one of the great state schools then state.

Propin, Colin Rice and bob shovel like this.
  6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

all my kids public school, I don't think it matters too much, it how you discipline and bring them up
    that makes the differences, this has proven time and time again in many books and literature.

There is no right or wrong answer, it all about informed decision and how you tackle it
    if you got money and send your kids to private schools and they doing well, do it

but it a very divisive topic for a lot of people, some people who sent their kids to private school love to tell you how good it is, they get their money worth and if you send your kids to public school you making a big mistake and it will destroy their future

I got people telling me about sending my kids to public school, breading ground for drug use and hang around dole bludger kids etc...

I got no answer to that, I usually say they probably do encounter that sort of stuff, the same thing I would encounter when I went to some of the very bad public school but hopefully, the way I discipline them, ensure they are focus on study and do well and the rest is just distraction they should be able to avoid. So far so good, all in later high school years and doing ok, no drugs, no dole bludger friends.

It also not just amount the money, I want them to mix with bad and the goods so they will be a more well-rounded person, street smart and can deal with all walk of life.

Most migrants sent their kids to some of the worse public school and they become doctor, engineers, scientist, lawyers etc...

If the school is the main factor determine your children future, then children of most poor migrants who parents sometimes cant speak English wouldn't become doctors, lawyers, engineer etc... why are they doing well in the worse of circumstances? I would say discipline and a focused mind

Tyla, DevD, spoon and 9 others like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Sell up and move?

8. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

public ftw.. honestly and now days education is not like what it is, u need to learn/master the basics, language and maths. get through uni. go learn skills that school dont teach you stuff you need to know like financial and life skill.

dont rich kids from private school use drugs more than "poor" public school kids ?

now days drugs are designer drugs for rich kids

9. Scott No Mates

But crack is a product of market economics & is cheap. ;)

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I'm like Rolf, but my, and their mum's, five different public chools (we got moved around a bit as kids) taught me how to spell "school" proppa like :p

We sent our two to private because the public primary and high schools for our residential boundary area at the time had the worst reputation of all in our large regional area. We also hoped to provide something we feel we missed out on, including stability.

In the end a kid, supported by both parents, not just left to teachers trying to manage many, some with issues, needs to want to learn to get anything out of any schooling, what their there for, have dedication (it's not a playgroup/daycare), have compassion and empathy for others, rather than participating with those simply there because their told they legally have to be, but would rather be surfing, bmx riding, playing computer games etc, so instead they get involved in mischief, bullying, drugs, etc etc etc. Like us the job needs to get done, play time is outside of work.

The result so far, 19yr old daughter left end of yr10, did a few different jobs, at 20 she's already married with a 6 month old, not what I hoped for.
    Our 16yr old son, like most has no idea what he wants as a career, but I'm proud his the first in our linage to commit to yr11, I hope he finishes yr12, but being the age of drivers license, first car he loves working on, his thinking of being a diesel mechanic, not the accountant/lawyer type route I was kinda hoping for.

But in the end their both very well mannered, great deportment (considering their old mans a bogan) respectful/caring of others etc.
    Would they have turned out any different with free schooling? who knows, but were happy we did everything possible to give them the best head start in life we could, time will tell what the results are.

sharon and Gladys like this.
  11. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

No Idea but I have seen both sides of the school so I have a fairly informed view on school public and private, I don't get upset by that sort of remarks anyway, most of them are just misinformed and the fear factor dictate their actions.

I like to base my actions on facts, research, a lot of reading and observation

12. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Looking back private school was one of the best investment's we ever made..

It may have been costly at the time ,but the results - the life time contacts they have made it priceless..

Myself i went to public school -left in grade ten -tafe -then small business..

The Dentist i use came here on a leaking fishing from Vietnam he went to a public,same as the Doctor i sometime use all public ..
    This is something that has stayed in my mind from the first time we both sat down for the interview after paying the $400plus entry bull#### fee at several inner brisbane private schools only to be told that we could not get in..

This is what the Principal told me that day..

Don't come back in 7 years time and tell me i have not done the job-the job is up to you and what is talked around the dinner table each night..

13. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i didnt say there isnt any cheap drugs around, you can even smell petrol to get high if you want to. im just saying now days people like designer drugs for festival etc.

anyway this is not about drugs lol..i know i kinda started it.

i didnt do school in australia. but in australia public and private school do teach the same subjects and same system ?

from where i come from you can go private school to study oversea syllabus ie (us/uk/au/canada) as to the local public school which teach local syllabus in local language. which "sorta" makes it more justifiable

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2017
    Cadbury99 likes this.
  14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Exactly! Teachers have 35+ kids to sort out, try doing that everyday.
    Kids are a sponge and soak up personalities etc from those they look up to the most, their immediate family and close neighbors, the kids they hang out with & their parents.
    The prominent educator of a child's youth is its parents, don't leave it up to others.

Anne11, Becs, Gladys and 2 others like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

You can do the International Baccalaureate instead of the HSC but that doesn't answer the question.

16. RPI

it'd be cheaper vs fees

17. RPI

At my kids state high school almost 900 students applied for the 350 places in year 7 last year, some of which would have been taken up by those in catchment.

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We thought that we had great value from the private schools in Canberra.

Our girls didn't really do well academically, but the school encouraged them well no matter how well they did in class.

Now, years later, each one has gone back to tertiary study and excelled- they have each found a passion, and used the solid background they had. The older one topped her year of university (especially satisfying in an intensely male-dominated course); the younger has finished a Cert IV while studying a Diploma concurrently (to be finished 6 months early) while also working.

Canberra schools cost around half of what the Sydney and Melbourne equivalent schools were costing at the time.

19. Scott No Mates

To make politicians believe that private education isn't that expensive? :confused:

20. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

For $35k/year there's no question - I would send my kids to public school. I'd rather take them on a round the world trip every year. We send our kids to a much (MUCH) cheaper private school, and I question how much better it is than the local high school. I think for some kids it can be worth it, but it's not a given.

TSK, Tom Rivera, sandyfeet and 2 others like this.