Private unit renting only in weekends

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by Samj, 4th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

We live in about 25Km north from Brisbane and we are driving up and down every weekday to the Brisbane CBD. I am thinking to purchase a small unit (studio or 1BR) in the Brisbane CBD and stay there 4 weekday nights (Monday to Thursday). I am just wondering if it is possible to rent out the unit for those three days I am not using it. I have seen some big complexes those are renting for short terms. Just wondering if they would like to add a unit to their renting pool only for weekends (Friday – Sunday)? Do you have any idea?

If not, will it be possible to post it on private renting sites such as Airbnb? Basically what I want to know if this idea can ever work?

Thanks.

2. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Many people are doing AirBnB not sure how much demand is there in Brisbane though. CBD should be doable I think

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would say yes, very possible. But if you do, I have a few tips:

* Try to buy something that's really appealing for anyone to stay there, try to buy a place with a good outlook, perhaps North or East facing (not South or West, though admittedly Brisbane is different to Sydney).

* If you want to Airbnb make sure the mailbox is external to the building, you want to have an easy key handover. Having existing mailboxes where everybody supplies their own lock is a nice to have, then you put on a combination lock. You can do it in other buildings too, but make sure your mailbox is external to any building security door.

* If you are doing flooring, don't choose carpet, it gets dirty and worn easily quickly.

* Knowing whether your building is friendly to short term lets is another question.

* If you Airbnb it, be aware of all the extra sheet and towel changes and vacuuming etc... you may get sick of facing it every week after a few months.

* Finally, check your strata fees...
    :)

Last edited: 4th Jul, 2016
    marty998, Jacque, Xenia and 2 others like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Great advice G

Cleaning in between would be your major hurdle. New bedding and towels at the commencement of the weekend stay and at the end. Cleaner would need to be there Thursday night and Monday morning.

Also consider how you would handle it if the residents are there on Monday and need to book in for an additional stay???

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree Xenia.

This one is easy. Just say no if they want to extend their stay.

Xenia likes this.