Private Storm water issue (Brisbane City Council)

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tifoso, 29th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How much did the letter cost,if you don't mind sharing?

2. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi Bob,

I will refer that to Darryl mate! If he is comfortable then I am.

What I can say is that we thought it was a very fair price, given there was a bit of research, Darryl's time on the phone to my wife, an Associates time on the phone to me, time drafting the letter and time communicating with / responding to the Neighbour.

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I love letter writing with costs.

4. bob shovel

That's alright. I assume you weren't in a rush for it.did it hold anything up?

5. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Hi mate it didn't as we installed a bit of flexipipe to reroute the water to the front of our block. Didn't have the capacity or mental space to deal with it at the time. But builds are now getting toward completion, so we want it finalised.

6. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

I assume you are being funny, but just in case you aren't, you need your head read hahahah.

7. Tifoso

Tifoso Well-Known Member

Quick update for those interested.

It looks like Neighbour is going to resolve this very soon, and construct his own LPD to the front of his street. He again made an offer to solicitor to give us an amount of compensation to use our land, but in the end we decided we didn't want it burdened. I expect this is going to be a costly PITA for him, and it just goes to show that being a massive d|ck to people who are honest and reasonable can sometimes bite you.

After all that, he admitted to solicitor he knew he didn't have an LPD. Requesting us to hold off legal action while he organises the LPD :)

Knowing all this, and the stress we put ourselves through, me wondering if we were in the right, should we just pay for the connection and be done with it, blah blah, I will now have absolutely no hesitation to contact my new solicitor.

Larrylarry you mentioned above you love letterwriting with costs. After this I bloodywell do too. I'm not a spiteful person, but the pure satisfaction it has provided was worth every penny.

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2015
    Art Vandelay and bob shovel like this.
  8. bob shovel

That's great to hear! A win for the decent people

Tifoso likes this.
  9. BlazinSaddle

BlazinSaddle Member

Hi WilliamB,

Apologies for reviving this old thread which I've just come across, but I have perhaps a similar situation and wondered if you'd mind fielding a query.

We've lived in Forest Lake, Brisbane, since 1994. I recently noted damage to a reinforced concrete aspro over what seems a storm-water inspection pit at the front of our property (I posted a query about it in a Repairs & Maintenance thread a month or so ago).

I wondered, did the pipe you discovered in 2015 enter your property only for a brief distance and then terminate (either in the earth or a gravel pit)? Or did it continue through your property to discharge into a storm-water drain at your kerb?

In our situation, while replacing a low retaining wall at the back of our property in 2015, I discovered a 150 mm pvc pipe running along parallel to our back fence, and later a second one parallel to a side fence, i.e., at right angles to the first. The latter looked as if it continued on to the above-mentioned inspection pit, and then on to the kerb storm-water drain.

In the other thread, the general advice seemed to be to just replace the aspro and move on. I haven't yet taken that advice because, (a), I'm not fussed at spending a couple of hundred and, (b), thinking about the "rear-fence pipe", it would seem we're not just providing drainage for one rear neighbour but several, and I'm a bit daunted at the prospect of determining which rear neighbours are involved so as to pass the hat around. Oh ... , and (c) I'm still not convinced the aspro's not in fact a BCC asset - the council bloke's assurances notwithstanding. I've seen a similar aspro in a nearby park. Like ours, whatever lettering was originally across its centre has largely weathered (or been ground?) away.

As in your case, none of our property documentation declares an easement. The only thing that acknowledges such drainage seems to be an interesting set of BCC pages I've just discovered including this one. Yes, I acknowledge their caveat: "Not all assets within the network are owned, and maintained by Brisbane City Council".

Many thanks

BlazinSaddle

10. Ankit Tanna

Ankit Tanna New Member

After so many years, I am in the same position. I have a private stormwater running through my property. I have very limited options to construct a proper home. I will use this thread as a reference.

Thanks,
    Ankit