Private schools for kids, or invest the cash for the kids?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by mrdobalina, 20th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

I've always wondered about home schooling.
    What resources are available to help?
    Do you have to get special permission from the education department to home school?

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You register with the state your in and you are provided curriculum and resources. Plus I think there are teachers you liase with tocheck progress and assistance.
    I get infinite from a face book Page they also have a website with heaps of info
    "travel Australis with kids "

Observer and Mombius Hibachi like this.
  3. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

In NSW you register with BOSTES and are expected to develop your own program (based on minimum requirements) and your child's individual needs. A BOSTES rep visits your home and checks your program and assessment plans etc. Depending on how well you meet the homeschooling requirements, you will be registered for up to 2 years. There may be community groups that help with resourcing but it is not the governing body that provides this in NSW.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

To avoid the above, distance education may be better for you. They provide the work for you
    http://www.travellingaustraliawithkids.com/how-to-home-school.html

Sir Richard Branson is trying to shake the current schooling ideas up. Haven't had a chance to watch yet

“I never let schooling get in the way of my education” Mark Twain

5. Diesel111

Diesel111 New Member

We don't have a lot of choice, public primary school and private high school. Our kids will be leaving home for boarding school at 12ys old.:(

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I send mine to ski school. ;)

Rub shoulders with the poor and down-&-out, country bumkins, fresh air, exercise, subzero temps to toughen them up etc.

They're all about discipline, drills etc.

7. Kai41314

Kai41314 Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit off the topic but anyone know University High School in Melbourne? Is it good? I am considering to buy PPOR near there so my son can study there in the future.

8. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

Uni high has a very good reputation.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Great reputation and some good students from it.

The Y-man

10. Kai41314

Kai41314 Well-Known Member

11. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

The australian is comparing NAPLAN tests, which are tests done in literacy and numeracy only. High school students sit them when they are aged 12 and 14. The ICSEA score is a measure of the socio-economic advantage of the parents. Generally the higher the ICSEA score the better the accademic results because parents generally have a bigger influence on results than schools.

Better education has different ways of ranking, but the table you have linked is VCE scores. Students typicaly take 6 VCE subjects and sit the exams when they are aged 18. These are the scores you need for university.

Hard to say which is a better tool as they are ranking based on different age groups and subjects.

Last edited: 15th Oct, 2015
    The Y-man and Kai41314 like this.
  12. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

@Kai41314 northcote high school is also very good and near university high. I think northcote HS is a big school and has a much larger zone but is impossible to get into outside of the zone. If you're looking for property in a school zone its worth considering too.

MTR and Kai41314 like this.
  13. mrdobalina

Interesting. It's a shame the socio economic status of parents can influence school scores.

Like the saying from animal farm - all animals are created equal. Some are just more equal than others.

14. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Soon we'll have to decide where our children go schooling.

15. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Our kids went to a Montessori preschool, and if there was a convenient nearby school for them to continue with that, I would consider it, but as it is many of the teaching methods from Montessori are already integrated into public schooling. It is more the over-aching philosophy of how kids learn, the best time for mental vs physical education, and the learning environment from Montessori that I would like to see more of.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

bob shovel likes this.
  16. el caballo

el caballo Well-Known Member

@mrdobalina

I've since softened on this question, and now am as equivocal as you in your initial post. Have you made your mind up on it?

Cheers
    Greg

17. mrdobalina

I think we are going with option 1 and putting them in private school. The experiences we've had in the past couple of years at the local primary school was pretty average.

What led you to rethink your position?

18. el caballo

@mrdobalina

To quote a great man:

"Yeah why not. We'll do anything for our kids, and wouldn't blink an eyelid to send them to the top private schools. This includes spending $30k per year per kid for 10 years (2 kids)"

:)

19. mrdobalina

Hahaha. We're gonna wait until a bit closer to high school before putting them in. I don't see much value of private school for primary school.

I guess the trade-off was: Would it be beneficial for the kids in the longer term to NOT go private school, but have a big pot of invested capital at their disposal upon graduation?!

20. el caballo

Yes, it's an optimisation problem worthy of considered thought. Suffice it to say I have moved from being vehemently opposed to seriously considering. With respect gifting them a pot of invested capital at, say, their 21st birthday, I'm actually leaning to think that may not be my best move.

With respect your two children, are you concerned this could at least partially inhibit their sense of self-dependence and hunger to succeed?