Privacy Screen using Astroturf?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by evalord, 14th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

I want to cover up the balcony fence and lattice screen with astro turf to create more privacy. This side is not too bad but the other side is very close (2-3m) between our neighbour's master bedroom window and our deck. It's a bit wider on the other side probably 4.5m.

Anyway my question is has anyone tried using astro turf as privacy screen? Does it look good? Maintenance problems? The balcony is on the second floor.

Attached Files:

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Not done Astro but I reckon a garden wall might look good, wall hanging pots, with plant, herbs, whatever.
    A cheap way would be to fix shade cloth to it.

KayTea and evalord like this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The underside of artificial turf is a black rubber that looks and smells aweful. You dont see or smell it when correctly laid. A eyesore.

Hanging it would result in tears too since is a woven backing. Artificial turf is intended for horizonal installation onto a hard surface and laying with sand screen on top and is not cheap. It also gets hot. .60m2-$100m2. Ever seen vertical grass ? No. I reckon it would look silly and out of place. Apartment use ? A strata concern as it is not fire ******** for horizontal use and is a non-compliant building materials for AS.

Bunnings have many screening options incl timber and plastics that can also be enhanced with shadecloth etc.

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2017
    Marg4000, Joynz and evalord like this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

This^ and astro turf is bloody heavy. Bunnings had a 'tile' that looks like an artificial hedge. It's light and would secure easily to the lattice.

evalord likes this.
  5. evalord

Good advice! I'll stick with shade cloth.

6. Paul@PAS

Its the cheapest of the artificial turf grades ina square tile. If you understand how to install the turf its useless for more than a dog to s_ît on

7. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but I'm not talking about the 1m x 1m artificial turf tiles. In the garden section there are decorative "tiles" about 50cm x 50cm.
    Here's the link..

https://www.bunnings.com.au/artificial-hedge-50cm-golden-box-tile-unreal_p2941662

8. Paul@PAS

What is its fire ******ant properties ? What is used to support it ?
    I wouldnt add a single item of plastic or timber without strata approval.

If its external on a balcony and fixed its a fire hazard dealt with by the AS and building code. eg Can it be climbed by a child? Doesnt matter you dont have a child you become liable when one falls - even the neighbours visitor

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Phase2 likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Sorry, but astroturfing is against the forum rules (see Rule #17) :p

11. evalord

Ah this is going to be too expensive for me :oops: I need 5m x 2m + 3 x 2m works out to be just shy of $1k. I'll stick with shade cloth, at about 1/10 of the cost:D

Good point, it's a house but good point nevertheless. Might get blown over to neighbour's yard / fire hazard.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Vertical grass would look weird.
    Marg

13. Westminster

It is a weird idea but I've seen a photo of it done beautifully. Let me find it

[​IMG]

evalord likes this.
  14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Seen that building (think it's apartment) from the narrows, near Parliament House that's done the side of the retaining wall/planter boxes etc with Astro?
    Stands out, not sure in a good way tho

15. Westminster

Yeah the one with the circle windows. I really wouldn't want to live there - the pollution, noise and black air from all those cars would mean never opening a window.