Privacy Screen Question

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by alexm, 19th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

One of our current for sale properties isn't attracting any interest despite being renovated, priced correctly, and being low maintenance. One problem is that there is no rear yard (again low maintenance) however this is turning off people with kids.

I'm thinking to add a row of mature Gracilis Bamboo along the fenceline to create a greener space and add privacy between the rear facing house. Is it possible to buy mature bamboo for this? Any other plants that could do the trick?

The listing is attached for visuals: 44 Walker Street Helensburgh NSW 2508 - House for Sale #128072682 - realestate.com.au

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just wondering why the listing has no pictures of the rear entertaining area?

Re. Bamboo - yes Gracillis is a great screen.

Mature Gracillis is available - but you might be surprised by the cost. It thickens up in the first couple of years after planting - but might not give enough screening for you straight away.

Prices here: mr bamboo

Note: should be planted in a garden bed at least 120cm wide (clumping bamboo can be kept to size by snapping off the new culms, but it does need some room). Would you have the room?

Last edited: 19th May, 2018
  3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

While the rear courtyard is neat and tidy, fully painted in a nice grey, and certain parts covered in white pebbles, it's certainly not a selling proposition like the front yard is. Hence why this pic was omitted.

Thanks for the information about the screens.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If I was a tenant looking, I'd give this one a big miss due only to the fact that there is no advertised price on the advert - just "price on request". Life is too short to call the agent, leave a message with the receptionist, wait for a call back..........zzzzzzzzz

5. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm over contacting agents to find out a price. They always either say "Well tell me what you think it's worth", or "Come and have a look and we can discuss it further". Not happy with either of those answers! maybe I should be looking at those houses though if others are turned off from calling them too though :)