Privacy improvement - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Nervous, 18th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Happy Friday brain trust,

Wondering if anyone has any advice of a cost effective way to enhance privacy. An ongoing note has been that tenants dont feel separated from neighbors, (deck just over the fence). Neighbors are lovely, but being retired are constantly on the deck, which limits tenats private use of the front deck.

What to do.jpg

Dont want to over capitalise either, carport is not new. Was thinking something along the lines of below. Any ideas who can do that? Any other ideas?

Canberra-carport.jpg

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I think the slats on the side look good, but you would need to have them just freestanding on your side of the fence to avoid cutting off that side of the yard.

I'm not sure how much privacy you will get on a front porch anyway?

I'd head off to stratco or similar and ask the cost, if you are looking at a new roof over that area.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Give some fence people a call.

The Y-man

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

5. Nervous

Thanks, didnt realise fence people would do it. Will post later for recommendations.

@qak Thank you. I winder if they can be hooked to the carport post and the building. The carport is fairly long 5.5m (from memory, might be longer). They would get sufficient privacy, there is a hedge blocking the street in the front, with almost no back yard, thats pretty much all they got :eek:

6. Nervous

Yes, the fence is absolute rubbish. Would not support itself in a year or two. So need to find a creative way to do the privacy without the fence. Neighbours are happy to replace the fence in a year or two, but being retired need a lot of time to budget. I am happy to wait.

... hence need of ideas of doing the privacy which avoiding touching the fence.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

600mm+ lattice fixed to the underside of the carport. That'll screen from anyone on a deck looking down.

8. 32386

32386 New Member

consider non-invasive bamboo.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

2DF881EF-2C85-4418-9B39-83C28D70CBF1.png

As per the photo above (from Josh’s House site). Get a fencer, skilled handyperson, or carpenter to add this type of fence extension supported on metal posts above the existing fence. In future the underneath fence can still be replaced.

Or - temp solution) as long as the rails on the fence are OK, get a handy person to install fence toppers. They just screw in. Available at Bunnings etc.

Re. Bamboo: I have Gracillis clumping bamboo as a screen. I love it - and it screens really well. However, there is some maintenance to this option (snapping off any culms you don’t want - which tenants won’t do). And watering. And you really need to plant it at least 70cm from the rear fence. Also, I would avoid this just now as it would get in the way of the new fence (and you don’t t want to lose having the ‘nice’ side of the fence on your side.

Plant Tiger Grass (if it’s tall enough). Not a bamboo and not as expensive either.

I also like Scott’s idea of a lattice strip hanging from the ceiling. Or louvres.

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2021
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Do you have a photo of your bamboo screen by any chance?

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Will take some when it’s daylight and post.

Lacrim likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Bamboo should never be planted in the ground. It is very invasive.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Apr, 2021
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Have you not heard of clumping bamboo?

14. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I'd get 2 fencers in to quote to replace the fence, asking for price of a standard timber fence (min required) and another for a taller fence.

Email the neighbor the standard timber fence quote and explain that as it's falling apart it requires replacement (also explaining you would like a higher fence for privacy), tell them if they don't currently have tbe funds you are happy to do it now and they can pay you back in 6 months.

Surely for that small/short section it won't cost too much (and if you pay for it all you get to claim the depreciation)

If they don't pay, put a caveat on them

15. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

[​IMG]This roll of lightweight screening is $35 for a 3 metre roll from bunnings, You could tie it to the fence to get you buy until you get the new fence.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia