Privacy concerns

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by kirags, 20th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. kirags

kirags Active Member

Unfortunately, the agent is the director of the agency - so no one to go to above him.

2. kirags

kirags Active Member

I am afraid of making a big scene and hurt the relationship as we haven't settled yet

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The agency isn't going to jeopardise settlement.

By the way, what did they say they would do with the photo? I can only imagine you would have realised they would use it for advertising? We see these photos in the brochures put into our letterbox regularly. I've never had one taken, never been asked either.

But I would push hard to have it removed. I would be very annoyed that they've used it in social media without asking.

kirags and Lindsay_W like this.
  4. kirags

kirags Active Member

Great question, we didn't think anything of it at the time....still all the rush from the auction I guess we weren't thinking straight. They just said they would send us the photo and NEVER mention they would use for advertising neither asked for authorisation.
    I wonder if legally we can make them take it down given it has children in it and an address.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If the principal of the agency isn't returning your calls, I'd give the sites that it is on a call and push for them to remove it. I'd push hard on this. I would not want this either. Or ask the office person who uploads photos to remove it immediately. The principal will not be the one loading the photos anyway.

I took photos on a recent holiday of my niece and nephew's little children who we met up with and posted it to my FB. I was only posting to a select group of friends and family, not to my open page. A few minutes after my niece messaged me and said please don't put any photos up of their children. I felt so awful, and stupid for not asking first. They are leaving it to the children when they are old enough to make their own choices.

I removed it immediately, assured her it was only able to be seen by our family and a select few of my friends, but felt really stupid for not considering that I should have asked.

Perhaps the agent has never thought of the privacy aspect. But I'd keep pushing.

The Y-man likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

State laws require that all sales prices are reported. There are very limited grounds for suppression. There is some public interest test that applies to open and transparent data on all sales. This occurs as late as the title transfer. On the website - That is just same data reported earlier and possibly automated by Domain.

Datasets - Data.NSW

Explained here : Its illegal to suppress the data !! And its not a "privacy breach" under state law.
    Property Price Information - Suppression - Registrar General's Guidelines

Last edited: 21st Nov, 2019
  7. Paul@PAS

Photos and videos in public spaces or public use (eg incl a REA website) are not generally governed by any privacy rights. Some states are expanding some privacy rights for certain persons or certain types of images eg intimate images, children in some situations etc. but generally this still is not a concern. We have a right to approach anyone and take their image and they can merely ask to delete it. If we refuse there may be nothing illegal and police cant intervene. Of course illegal acts like upskirting may fall foul and be liable to action.

The REA has not committed any breach to include a family and children in an image. You shouldnt have allowed the photo to be taken if you wanted to limit its use. The taking of the image is the best time to enforce permission. The old adage of - Facebook is forever applies too.

There may be action under copyright for commercial USE of your image. But as a neville nobody there may be limits to your action and you may find it hard to argue your reputation or harm to it has value.

Joynz likes this.
  8. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Without making mountains out of molehills, the agent who is the principal should have better sense to understand why the purchaser wants the pic taken down. Yeah I get it is for publicity and all but its got kids on it..
    Yes the purchaser should have known better but now its done, shoulda woulda coulda is pointless.
    Just rock up to the agency and tell him face to face, to remove the pic.

wylie likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

And he says no ? What will you do ? Nothing. He hasnt actually done anything wrong.
    Family pic - Family stood there for the picture. WITH parents consent it seems.

You can only ask. Its not a right.

Joynz likes this.
  10. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

Says no?, well that's a no. At best I'd offer to take another photo for his publicity.

The agent hasn't done anything right either, if anything morally hes done the wrong thing, and I say morally because clearly the OP isn't happy about his family in the public viewing, and if the tables were turned chances are the agent would agree.

If the agent had half the decency he would know how damaging one upset person is for his business, especially in the real estate game. Now I'm, curious to know which area and agent this is..

I understand u can ask and its not a right, and ifs and buts are all well and fine until you are on the receiving end, a little compassion and understanding will get people a lot further. No need to be a dick because u technically didn't do anything wrong.

11. Paul@PAS

No morals are involved. The OP allowed for his kids to be pic'd. His wife's probably spat it. You cant rewind a car crash.

My wife is a principal she gets a handful of parents who request their kids gets blacked out of the class photo after telling parents the photo's are being taken the next week / days etc and asking anyone who doesnt want the pic taken to contact the school.. Nothing gets said until a month later when she is asked to have the kid erased from the pic .It doesnt happen.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The high school I worked at had a question on the enrolment form asking if permission was given for student’s photos to be taken. A “no” was always respected and followed. The issue was sorted before a problem arose.

13. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I would be looking for a way to pull out of the settlement if at all possible.

14. 738

738 Well-Known Member

lol?

15. kirags

kirags Active Member

Unfortunately, we were very naive to allow a picture be taken not thinking about social media....But I expected is someone is going to post a picture of my family with address on it to at least have the decency of asking.
    I do know that anyone can post anything however the fact that he is using the image for marketing purposes may raise grounds for a dispute as it has no being authorized.
    We have spoken to the agent about an hour ago and he said he will think about it....
    Honestly? What is there to think about? he can still have a photo of the house with a sold sign, why does he need the picture of a family who is not happy to be in his marketing....I just can't comprehend....

16. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

yes, but only half joking. It was an auction so no easy get outs. However if there was a way to make an agent think that the property might not settle I bet the photos would come down very quickly

kirags likes this.
  17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'm now intrigued...what's the address? ;)