Prime Minister's announcement re: evictions

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lil Skater, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

2. KingBendtner

KingBendtner Well-Known Member

100% tenants need to prove hardship. I would want my PM to work even harder in working with the tenant and show real proof:
    1. Written notice from Employer (if they have been made redundant/stood down/reduced hours etc.).
    2. Any proof that they have exhausted all the options from Centrelink etc.
    3. Finally, proof that they are not eligible for Superannuation pullout.
    Only then, I will come to the party and start listening of any noise

3. Lil Skater

Yep, it’s important to differentiate between those that need assistance and those that want to take advantage of the situation.

skater, hachoo and KateSydney like this.
  4. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

Yes, ll insurance will not pay out until tenant is evicted, further landlord must do everything possible to evict tenant as soon as possible in order to make a claim. But of course, landlord cannot evict when the other states follow Tasmania.

I have asked my ll insurer what their position is, whether they feel that the new laws mean we are not covered at all even for the limited number of weeks rent default they cover. I don't know if they are willing to say anything at this stage. I would have thought maybe they would be scrambling to reword their policies at the moment to provide a definite out for themselves...

I imagine there are much greater impacts on ll insurance than tenant rent default, such as being unable to evict a tenant who is damaging the property, again if we follow Tasmania, cannot evict for tenant damage, so cannot mitigate losses for ll insurance purposes.

Sam Yue and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. abc_123

abc_123 Well-Known Member

No, no evictions for any reason, even if the notice was already served, if all states follow the law already in Tasmania

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It will never happen, payment plan for 6 months:eek: tenant would just walk, far more attractive

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

but you cant evict them regardless?? Thats the issue and some tenants will take advantage of this, unless there are safety nets in place for LL?? Dont know? But PM stating LL and tenant need to work it out is not comforting

PM press release tells us nothing

TMNT, Sam Yue and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. Lil Skater

Absolutely agree, I know it’s a situation that’s not come up before - but sort it out yourself isn’t a solution.

And yes, you won’t be able to evict either way - but perhaps good insight into not renewing later? Or more “power” if they fall into arrears after the 6 months where you may be able to show that they were taking advantage. Honestly though my guess is as good as anyone else’s, we won’t really know how it’s going to play out until it does. More research to do before jumping the gun.

MTR and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Part of the preparation for this in NSW was an amendment to the residential tenancy act

NSW legislation

No doubt other states will have done the same.

Lil Skater and Simon Hampel like this.
  10. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

Yes this NSW legislation came out Wednesday night...on Thursday morning a friend of mine told me his tenant said he can't pay the rent anymore.

I think economists call this 'moral hazard'.

11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Full transcript available here: Press Conference - Australian Parliament House, ACT | Prime Minister of Australia

Relevant section:

Now, the National Cabinet also considered this evening issues relating to commercial tenancies as well as residential tenancies and they agreed to a series of principles which are released through the statement. But the most significant of those is that states and territories will be moving to put a moratorium on evictions of persons as a result of financial distress if they are unable to meet their commitments. And so there will be a moratorium on evictions for the next six months under those rental arrangements. Now, there is a lot more work to be done here and my message to tenants, particularly commercial tenants and commercial landlords, is a very straightforward one. We need you to sit down, talk to each other and work this out about looking at the businesses which have been closed, businesses that may have had a significant reduction in their revenues and we need landlords and tenants to sit down and come up with arrangements that enable them to get through this crisis so on the other side, the landlord has a tenant, which is a business that can pay rent and the business is a business that can re-emerge on the other side of this and be able to go on and employ people on the other side of these arrangements. And we want the banks to help them achieve this outcome. We want people to sit down and work this out. We will be working on measures that will be encouraging you to do just that and to support you to do just that, but also to ensure that if you aren't going to engage in that sort of cooperative activity between banks, between tenants and between landlords, then the sort of support that you might otherwise expect to receive, you will not receive. This is part of the hibernation approach where we want people bespoke, customised to their own circumstances to sit down and work these things out. There is no rulebook for this. We are in uncharted territory, but the goal should be shared. And that is a business that can reopen on the other side, not weighed down by excessive debts because of rental arrears. A landlord that has a tenant so they can continue into the future to be able to support the investments that they have made and banks that have clients, both the landlords and the businesses. The three of them working together to ensure those businesses can get through and be there on the other side.

Our message to businesses also, and so many have been doing this and I congratulate them for their innovation, and that is to rethink your business model. We now have restaurants who are acting through takeaway. Good for them. We have retail businesses that are doing more through their online platforms. We have phone ahead and pick up type services that are being established that remove the direct contact in retail circumstances. And people need to exercise their discretion when they are going into shopping centres and retail supermarkets and things of that nature to be observing the strict rules around social distancing.

We're asking businesses to adapt to what is not a usual set of circumstances. They must be sustainable because they will run for, we believe, at least six months and we want to be able to get everybody through. So we are seeking their support. We will have more to say about commercial tenancies in the days ahead. The treasurers of all the states and territories, led by Josh Frydenberg as the federal Treasurer, have been working very hard on this. We'll be engaging with business and landlords and banks over the next couple of days to seek to get even stronger provisions in place so they can all sit down and get this sorted. But there's nothing stopping anyone sitting down tomorrow and working out a good deal that sees everybody through. It means everyone's going to have to carry a bit. The government also will be doing that as we move to our next phase of our economic supports so we can all get through.​

LeeM, Lil Skater and Luckycharm like this.
  12. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

I am just holding my breath waiting for the legislation to be penned in the states I have pptys in.

Lil Skater likes this.
  13. Simon Hampel

That's about all we can do right now, is wait.

LeeM and Lil Skater like this.
  14. Carol M

Carol M Well-Known Member

My agent said many tenants have come in and handed in keys as they lost jobs.
    Agent convinced some of them to work out rent reduction with landlord BECAUSE there is a big increase in empty houses, and it would be hard to find a new tenant now.
    My insurer said they will not cover rent loss etc, unless tenant has vacated, and unless correct termination notices issued etc.
    So, I already did the following last week:
    1. reassured tenants I would not turf them out if they lost their jobs.
    2. Offered a rent reduction IF they lost their jobs (as I figure paying something is better than paying nothing). But I will require proof they have lost their jobs, and I pointed out how much they can claim on Centrelink, including rent assistance. If they choose to pay no rent, I may dob them into Centrelink for falsely claiming rent assistance (I may also warn them that Centrelink can cut off all payments if people falsely claim rent assistance - hopefully this should motivate them to pay something.) Another option if they pay nothing is to give them 6 months notice to terminate - wonder if this is legal? Maybe that would get around insurers requirements.

KingBendtner likes this.
  15. +men

+men Well-Known Member

Why don't the government setup funding system like HECS to help tenants with financial hardship to pay rent

Rugrat, skater, Tom Rivera and 6 others like this.
  16. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

More details regarding moratorium on eviction. It doesn't say much regarding residential tenancies except "financial distress".

National Cabinet Statement | Prime Minister of Australia

Commercial and residential tenancies

As part of its work on helping businesses hibernate, National Cabinet agreed that short-term intervention is needed for commercial tenancies. Work on this has begun, but there is more to do, including for residential tenancies.

National Cabinet agreed to a moratorium on evictions over the next six months for commercial and residential tenancies in financial distress who are unable to meet their commitments due to the impact of coronavirus.

Commercial tenants, landlords and financial institutions are encouraged to sit down together to find a way through to ensure that businesses can survive and be there on the other side. As part of this, National Cabinet agreed to a common set of principles, endorsed by Treasurers, to underpin and govern intervention to aid commercial tenancies as follows:

• a short term, temporary moratorium on eviction for non-payment of rent to be applied across commercial tenancies impacted by severe rental distress due to coronavirus;
    • tenants and landlords are encouraged to agree on rent relief or temporary amendments to the lease;
    • the reduction or waiver of rental payment for a defined period for impacted tenants;
    • the ability for tenants to terminate leases and/or seek mediation or conciliation on the grounds of financial distress;
    • commercial property owners should ensure that any benefits received in respect of their properties should also benefit their tenants in proportion to the economic impact caused by coronavirus;
    • landlords and tenants not significantly affected by coronavirus are expected to honour their lease and rental agreements; and
    • cost-sharing or deferral of losses between landlords and tenants, with Commonwealth, state and territory governments, local government and financial institutions to consider mechanisms to provide assistance.

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Personally I would prefer this scenario over a tenant continuing to stay on and not paying rent. Probably use the downtime to do a reno. At least there's no lockdown. Oh wait...

18. AlphabetSoup

AlphabetSoup Active Member

I'm currently a tenant in financial distress - but I haven't lost my job.
    Instead, the person I had been sharing my apartment has fled (they lost their job!). Our property manager had insisted from day dot that I was the only name on the lease, so now the responsibility for the entire overpriced apartment falls on me.

Where I used to have 50+ people express interest in this room when advertised, currently I haven't been able to find anyone else interested in renting the room at the moment. There are more advertised ads for my suburb than I have ever seen... just pages and pages of empty rooms. The suburb I live in was previously full of international students and working holiday makers - and most of them have fled to their home countries.

There is massively reduced demand in my inner city suburb. My buffer might only last a few months. I wish I could hand in the keys - there are so many other more reasonably priced options out there - but my lease isn't due to expire until the end of the year.

New Town likes this.
  19. Simon Hampel

I would be talking to your property manager as soon as possible and explaining the situation frankly and honestly. See if you can come to an arrangement or even if they are happy to have you break the lease early to avoid having a non-evictable tenant who isn't able to meet their obligations - it might actually be a win-win if you leave? You don't know if you don't ask.

20. mun5

mun5 Well-Known Member

That's going to be hard to prove. Even income making tenants would be enticed to not pay rent.

Michael Mitchell likes this.