Prime Minister's announcement re: evictions

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Lil Skater, 29th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

@Lil Skater how have tenants reacted to you telling them their requests are put on hold pending announcements?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

HUGH72 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  3. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Some better than others, for the most part we’ve said something along the lines of:

Really sorry to hear.
    There’s a lot of people in similar situations at the moment, which does include owners. Whilst we will put the question to them, some may not be in the position to help.
    We’re also waiting on some clarification on rental properties and in the meantime we recommend looking into other government assistance that is available in the short term.

Language switched up to fit the person we’re taking to and their specific request. Most people have been really understanding though which I feel shows they’re more genuine.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Prepare for a torrent of 'I 'm sorry I can't afford the rent, need a rent reduction or a rent holiday stat' calls tomorrow. Coincidence?

mun5 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

That was specifically relating to commercial leases. Residential are governed by the relevant state legislation not by mutual agreement - so we need to wait until the states come out with their announcements.

skater, ChrisP73, Haiyan and 2 others like this.
  6. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

In reality after an extended period there is no way you can claw back unpaid rent from a tenant, come on!?

I'm concerned about rates and insurance costs almost as much as the mortgage repayments.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2020
    TMNT, thydzik and Michael Mitchell like this.
  7. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

News just out that the Aussie government has announced a moratorium on evictions from commercial and residential rental properties.

What's stopping tenants just not paying rent for 6 months and making up a story that they can't afford it and living there for free? This is absolutely ridiculous that they want landlords to be hit even harder than they have already been with this Covid-19 situation. Tenants should have to spend all their savings on rent before this happens. Just like how Centrelink has always wanted this done before they give someone the dole when you lose your job.

On this note, which insurance company out there covers "loss of rent" for the most amount of time? I know EBM only covers 6 weeks which is nothing but are there any companies that covers 3-6 months? Could be a time to sign up with them asap.

TMNT and Patrico1966 like this.
  8. Lil Skater

Just a small disclosure that’s been pointed out, I am referring to residential for the most part. I only do residential and commercial is a different kettle of fish.

I think if a resi tenant does not pay a cent in 6 months they’re likely taking advantage, they can get government support/super etc. negotiate on their gas/electricity, internet etc. look at the big companies first to defer payments, then the rents.

Commercial/retail where they rely on tourism, foot traffic etc. will be seriously impacted with no money coming in. Again, defer where possible and it sounds like grants may be offered to those who are the worst impacted, for the most part if these businesses can survive the next 3 months hopefully they’ll be able to come out of it the other end okay, but it’s going to be a difficult few months for the owners of these spaces and their tenants.

@Lacrim I have been getting them for a few weeks now.

@Simon Hampel it did say resi too and the article posted above included this, but written statement will have more details and will be interesting to see what states follow the Fed recommendations and which go their own way. I think it’s Tassie (and maybe NSW?) that had put their proposals in that were around 90 days.

Hetty and Michael Mitchell like this.
  9. Simon Hampel

I think everyone need to stop panicking just yet - the message from the Prime Minister was not very clear but a lot of what he was saying specifically related to commercial tenancies, not residential.

He did clearly say that the states will be making changes - and it is the state's responsibility, not the federal government, since the states define residential tenancy law. I've no doubt we will see nationally consistent changes brought in - but they will each come from our state body, and those state bodies have NOT defined exactly what the changes will be yet.

So for now, we just have to wait and see.

d_walsh likes this.
  10. Simon Hampel

I would be pretty sure that the states will all tow the line on this for residential tenancies and have consistent messaging - they would have to IMO and I think that's what the federal govt has been working on - ensuring all the states are on the same page.

I would be surprised and disappointed if they weren't.

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just think you could still be negative geared at 3% interest rates!

12. Lil Skater

Absolutely, though the length of time is frustrating when housing is the top priority for everyone. We were expecting announcements almost a week ago in Vic and still nothing.

I would also be surprised if it’s not consistent and at least here I doubt our state will go with anything less than has been recommended.

13. Simon Hampel

PS. @Lil Skater I changed the thread title to read "Prime Minister's announcement" rather than "PM's announcement" which was a little confusing in the PM forum :p :D

Elives and KingBendtner like this.
  14. Lil Skater

I mean, clearly the Property Managers here are all the leaders of the country too. Right? :D

skater and Simon Hampel like this.
  15. TylerJamesson

TylerJamesson Well-Known Member

It’s simple. Want rent reduction or rent holiday?

ok show us your taking and books first.... then we’ll seen

hachoo, Owlet, KingBendtner and 2 others like this.
  16. chunho01

chunho01 Well-Known Member

I certainly hope a fairer arrangement will be detailed. I mean, my tenant makes more than me and I'm supposed to be 'a landlord who is in a better position to help'. :eek:

Kassy, KateSydney, mun5 and 1 other person like this.
  17. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Can we stop talking like a rent reduction/rent holiday is somehow the same as what is being announced? I don't see anything anywhere about that being the case.

From the sketchy information so far, its just an eviction moratorium - it doesn't affect civil liability for rent.

TMNT, kierank, thydzik and 8 others like this.
  18. Lil Skater

A lot aren’t better off :(

I think we still need to ask for details to ensure they’re not just taking advantage and I certainly hope the XCATs review each case on its merits. Ie. if the tenant has had previous arrears or they have no tried to contribute a cent maybe some common sense will prevail? And the tenant would need to prove hardship, I hope.

19. Omnimaqq23

Omnimaqq23 Well-Known Member

In a bit of a pickle since this announcement.

My parents own a motel business which has their own kitchenette and bathroom. Their bookings are all dried up given the covid 19 situation. We are now looking at taking a huge cut on daily rate and advertising to get people who need a bit of a longer term accommodation say 3 months to 6 months.

I've been contacted by all sorts of people (given the price range for the weekly 'rent'), especially people who can't afford their current place anymore due to losing a job etc and getting centrelink. I think if we let people stay there longer it might make them into a tenant (instead of a motel guest) and thus residential tenancy and standard eviction procedures (or in this case the lack thereof) applies. I really don't want some squatters taking advantage of this situation but also my parents are struggling with their business. So I'm even leaning towards not leasing it out due to the high risk of non payment of occupation fee anyway. I guess it's lose lose for everyone.

20. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I've moved back to Brisbane for health reasons whole this virus plays out..my tenats before this announcement asked for a rent reduction and I haven't responded.
    I actually want to move back into the property myselfas I'm paying rent myself on airbnb. I don't want to get a lease on a place because I want to try to get back into the aforementioned house.
    Any suggestions about how to encourage the tenants to leave?
    Thanks