Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has banned 457 visas

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by paulF, 18th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Very cynical Terry but probably right.

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Top of the list: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Health Worker. How could thta ever qualify for 457?
    Another I know of where the system was abused was for a cook in an RSL. Really?

3. Meisterin

Meisterin Well-Known Member

Coming from an Asian background, I have heard of lots of rorts and I know of a guy who is currently on 457 Visa looking to get PR.

On paper he is a "Chef" but what he does in reality is "washing dishes". He has the qualifications of a chef (2 years at Cordon Bleu +2 years work experience) but most of his life in Australia was spent as a "student" working crazy 70-100 a week as a "cleaner" with only 2 days off a year.

What he has told me is that his wage gets put into his account, but then he would have to return a portion to the owner to fund the difference between reported wage and "market wage" in cash. According to him, this type of arrangement is rampant in Asian communities in restaurants, hair salons, construction and trades.

Apparently some people who want to get PR, pay the owner "full wage+Super + other incidentals" for 2 years in cash or their country and just put their name down on the owners books. Of course, to get there they spend a few years getting "right education" and "right work experience"

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I see this sort of thing a lot too. No time off at all, working like a machine. They don't always achieve their goals, either. The employers rort the system.

5. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Yeah the stricter criteria especially english testing will be a bummer for quite a few immigrants. The revision of the skilled occupation list will also cull a few more jobs.

Increased costs of the 2 year visa will also be another consideration for employers.

and the fast food special agreement for fast track 457 visa has been scrapped as well.

Definitely less of rorting now with new visa system coming in, which will not allow 457 to end with residency which most of the asians being exploited are aiming for.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I was surprised to see some jobs on the list, eg geophysicist, but I know the list is fluid and changes to meet local demand. At the moment there is probably enough geophysicist around.

I agree that there is a number of small businesses who have rorted the system and the workers so I'm glad that the new procedures will hopefully stop that.

7. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

The list is in alphabetical order, but yes it is insane that the position of such description is even on the list.

EDIT: the list is a great read. Really glad Golfer is on the list. A shortage of skilled Golfers has the potential to really tank the Aus economy.

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2017
    Terry_w likes this.
  8. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

The new English language requirement will be a level 5 pass in each component of an IELTS exam (reading, writing, listening and speaking). It's probably not a huge hurdle, but it might weed out imported dishwashers.

The document listing the changes says that from December, tax information will be passed onto the Department of Immigration. This might reduce the sort of rorting that @Meisterin was talking about.

The Kiwis have brought in similar restrictions. Could this be a coordinated trans-Tasman policy?

There are also changes coming to citizenship. I'm going to be eligible to apply for this in about a year, so personally I hope that they don't change things too much for me. :D

Overall, I suspect it's going to become harder to migrate into Australia in the near future. It's become increasingly difficult since I applied, and I'd expect the trend to continue.

9. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Feels like Turmbull attempted a Trump.

My background is IT, so I think if the option of getting cheap 457s is out, still does not prevent jobs going overseas. Most work is or in the process of getting outsourced.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Do we really expect anything more than a running comedy from our pollies ?

12. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Out of all these professions I think we are severely lacking skills in one key area.
    Politics.
    Should we introduce politicians to the 457 visa list? :)

Brickbybrick likes this.
  13. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Nah. Just automate them. After all, everyone has to be agile and flexible in this new economy am I right?