Prices and steps for granny flat build?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by menty, 28th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. menty

menty Well-Known Member

I am ready to build a new granny flat. The last one I built was 5 years ago and cost approx 120K all up including landscaping and driveway etc (all through a builder)

This time around, my builder will be my friend and he has advised me to go owner builder as it would save me about 10K (as he does not have to pay for insurance).

I have forgotten the steps that I took 5 years ago and costs but can someone make sure this is correct?

1. Sewer diagrams from reece ($15)
    2. Find surveyors and architects (plans $5000)
    3. Campbelltown council fees ($x?)
    4. Build cost ($90000)
    4a.: Knock down asbestos garage ($7000)
    5. Extras (Budget $5-10000)
    6. OC certificate. (private certifier)

I feel as though I have missed something

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2017
    Observer likes this.
  2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

lol, you actually list the $15 Reece sewer diagram in your costing

3. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Just a reminder to get it done!

RetireRich101 likes this.
  4. RetireRich101

2 years, I had several quotes for new build but didn't go ahead. range from 105k-120k
    I have done conversion of studio, garage etc to GF.
    Private certifer is around 2k. Not sure you need an architect, but a draftsman might do the trick, probably cost $1200-1500. Surveyor 800-1000

5. Manic

Manic Well-Known Member

I'm currently in the early stages of building a granny flat in the council of Blacktown, NSW and am debating a couple of expenses:
    1. convert garage to 3rd bedroom plus ensuite. The cost is about $28k all up but I'm unsure if the rent will over this and more.
    2. brick veneer instead of vinyl cladding for about $10k. I've also got 2.7m high ceilings and a possible 3rd bed which would all increase brick costs.

For those that have built, did you find these options worth it? What other options did you include as these is purely from an investment perspective eg. built in robes, laminate floors/benchtops, gas oven, windows screens, etc?

To include brick and a 3rd bedroom it would cost about the 150k mark vs 120k.

6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It'd be very unusual to get a 3brm granny flat in NSW where the max size is 60m2. Are you saying you are thinking about converting a granny flat garage into a 3rd brm? :confused:

7. RetireRich101

You will loose about 3-5m2 for brick construction..this is equivalent of the space of a laundry or ensuite bathroom... it won't increase in rent. It might increase in property value when sell, but probably not in bank valuation.

I didn't understand the conversion of the garage to 3rd bedroom. the SEPP allows main + 60m2 GF...you can have the garage as an outbuilding..I assumed with the conversion, the 3rd bedroom will be part of the Main resident?..then it's probably ok subject to approval... You need to speak with agent and get comparable rental..you lose a garage space for extra bedroom...is it too crowded...but since you built previously, you should be good at this ..
    I think 28k is reasonable for a bedroom + bath.

8. Manic

Manic Well-Known Member

So this basically tells me that it's prob not worth it from an ROI perspective. We plan to hold this very long term so am wondering if brick will hold up and cause less issues from a maintenance perspective...I'm told it would but if vinyl cladding is also low maintenance than it won't be worth forking out the extra $$ for brick.

Was looking at converting the garage that is attached to the main residence to a 3rd bedroom with ensuite (ie. it's in addition to the 60m2 of space). It would have an internal door to the main living area. I was told this can be done by the builder? I obviously wouldn't want to do it if it's naughty and there's a risk of having to convert it back to a garage only.

9. RetireRich101

I assumed existing main resident has 2 bed, 1 bath ( and single garage?)

If total end result is 3 bed, can we get away with convert the garage to just a bedroom without the ensuite? Without theplumbing side for the ensuite it is cheaper and it is easier to turn it back to a garage later on. It might only cost you $10k.

If its only 3 bed, me thinks 1 main bathroom is fine. The ensuite may add negligible rent increase. Just me thinking out aloud.

10. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Generally granny flats have a cap on the rent you can charge - go above that and you are competing with houses.

I'd imagine at Campbelltown you would be looking at a max of $250 for a granny flat (I actually have now idea) rather than the $450 you can get in some other areas.

Don't get caught up with too many extras that are not going to increase your rent - granny flat are just a yield play.

Manic likes this.
  11. Manic

Manic Well-Known Member

If i convert the garage it will be 3 bed with 1 main bathroom. I tend to agree with you in that the added expense for the ensuite may not be worthwhile. The house at the front is a 3 bed with 1 main bathroom as well.

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Its only a granny flat if you deem it as such.
    Built under Granny Flat rules, marketed as a house, charge as a house :)

13. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

It is still in someone's backyard, no parking and generally 60m2 - but I was never much of a marketer (as you can see).

14. menty

menty Well-Known Member

It appears Reece dont do sewer diagrams anymore! I need to get it from Sydney Water.
    Im unsure whether to get the sewer service diagram or the service location print.