Pricefinder vs. RP Data

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by alexm, 2nd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out what is the best tool to subscribe to in terms of finding the owners of properties, targeted market research, sales information by location, and other development orientated information.

Out of these two solutions, which one is the more comprehensive and best value for money?

Is there something else out there that is better?

Thanks
    Al

2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

3. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@Coota9 , that's a great link - many thanks.

4. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Pricefinder is bloody expensive!
    $2310/yr.

5. Knights of Ni

Knights of Ni Well-Known Member

These sorts of programs cause 'analysis paralysis' and are overkill for the average investor. Also, what difference does a report make when the guy next to you at auction just bids the property up.

paulF likes this.
  6. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

I found price finder very Handy when I was assessing to buy
    Maybe if ur serious it might be a option to use it why doing serious house hunting :)

7. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

maybe Simon can get a deal happening with Pricefinder that is similar to API?

8. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Good link Coota - I get asked this a lot too so I will use this in the meantime and one day write my own article.

Yep - but there are cheaper ways padawan :)

Somersoft back in the day, and more recently Property Chat have always had a few semi underground groups that have negotiated cheaper prices for software. I joined an early version of a pricefinder group many years ago in the SS days and it helped me greatly with a number of investment properties. One good purchase can pay for yrs of subscription, but the key is having software you actually use. I checked a number of programs and found some of them to be annoying or complicated and if you only buy 1 property a yr you probably forgot how to use it since last time.

Therefore, after yrs of trial and error, along with several other paid options I use now, I have always had a PRICEFINDER subscription and always found it 1: Easy to use 2: Fairly Intuitive 3: Useful 4 Profitable. For basic investing combined with the free sites out there I rekon its a great semi pro option and one of the most useful.

Last year the group I joined years ago was going to dissolve because the organiser didn't want to waste anymore time on it. I was asked by a lot of group members (because I am public about my identity) to run it. So i took it over.

There are a couple of super cheap illegal groups sharing logins floating around, this is NOT that.

It is a fully legitimate wholesale group with Pricefinder (I talk to their staff ever 2 months or so) every member has their own login, unlimited usage(whithin their fair usage policy of course), and as far as I know it is the cheapest in the country but its still not free or even cheap.

People can PM or email me if they are interested, one of PF strictest rules is that I don't advertise below a certain level so as to not devalue the perception of their retail product. They told me that they would dissolve the group if I did that. As of last month my current numbers were totally full but I need to fill it and then wholesale chunks of logins each time so I need to get a short list of interested parties to grow the group each time or else I will be losing money every month. I just asked them for a new batch of logins so expect these to come through very soon.

For those that want to know more about PF:

It is great at basic price estimates using very real sales data. MUCH better than ANY of the free websites in my experience. It also allows you to customise which sales to use so if there is a dump or a mansion skewing the results you can delete it.

It is also great for mapping, including looking at boundary measurements and potential granny flat and dual occ sites. I analysed my latest dual occ project this way.

It is good for getting street or suburb recent sales, recent listings, recent rentals.

It has suburb snapshots with some demographics but I would say that feature is poor and others do demographics better.

The investor level product the group offers has propery ownership info on a property search (you DO get surnames - you DON'T get phone numbers - and you CAN'T see every other property that person owns - pro level PF users get this but the groups don't) - I have contacted a number of people re private sales using the surname function plus whitepages. It works well in most cases.

It is NOT the only tool you will ever use for all economic and property research. You need to be smarter than expecting it to be that easy folks.

Also please be aware the sales data takes time to filter through - from 2-8 weeks depending on which state you are in. So if you are super active buying in a really fast moving market you still need to keep a manual track of very recent sales.

But horses for courses...if you know what your short list of suburbs is, and want to drill down on sales, mapping, and price estimates, and make your investing journey easier, this is a great way to compete with the pros and get better deals :)

Hope this is informative.

Gforce, househuntn and alexm like this.