Price Premiums for high-rise

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Reynard, 4th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Reynard

Reynard Member

Hi All,

I'm a new poster but have been lurking around since last year. A quick introduction: I invested last year in my first IP in Parramatta - a OTP unit - before reading this forum (which I very much regret), and I have been keeping up with the market.

I noticed that developers like to put a premium on units on high levels, but the resale market doesn't seem to price in a premium on high floors.

So what are the experts' opinions here: Do units on hgh floors (30 floors up) command a premium? How much per floor? Higher chargeable rent? By how much?

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I am not sure, but have lived in units a few times, I considered 3rd floor to far away.....with thirty, what I would be worried about is when the lifts are out or fire alarms etc........it is also too far to jump ...

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

There may be a price premium for higher floors where there is a view. Not much rent difference usually.

4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The higher you build the more expensive it costs generally so my guess is they are passing on that cost. If there are views then I can understand the value of paying more in that case.

But imho buying in a high rise like that really only gives the developer a premium in profits and not much else in terms of investment benefits to the buyer. It's good that you've wizened up now though.