Price Jacking by agent

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Craig Jung, 29th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Craig Jung

Craig Jung New Member

Dear members
    I need an urgent piece of advice.
    Have been in talks with an agent for a plot. However the agent is playing games in between and keep jacking up prices at any price I quote .
    The land assessment for the lot came in less . there is 50k difference however the agent says seller not interested in selling and would wait till someone offer the price .
    I suspect , it’s not the seller but the agent that’s doing all this .

is there any way I can communicate with seller or can file a complaint against the agent as he has backtracked on all previous promises when I offered him price and started showing interest .
    Now bank loan is approved and agent says seller not agreeing the price as per bank evaluation

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd move on to the next block. This agent sounds dodgy.

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

not much benefit for the agent to obstruct the sale ?

ta
    rolf

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Theres no contract, right? So bank loan cant be approved.

Rich2011 and The Y-man like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Do you have written evidence? Spoken words mean nothing. Also, you can misinterpret words. eg Agent might say "I think I can get the vendor to agree to that price maybe ..."

The Y-man

6. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

It’s the agents objective to get the vendor and a purchaser to hold hands on price (and terms and timing).

There are circumstances where the agent doesn’t need to take or present your offer - for example, if the vendor has stipulated not to present offers below $x. It may well be the agent as you suspect, or it could be an optimistic vendor.

Q - where is your offer in price compared to any advertised pricing?

Q - can you strengthen your offer (not necessarily price)? If you’ve done your due diligence, would you consider waiving cooling off using a 66W form? This shows an offer is very serious and can be tempting to a vendor.

Is there any way you can communicate with the vendor? Most don’t like it, that’s one of the reasons they’re employing an agent. But the vendors are named on the Contract of Sale, as is the solicitor or conveyancer representing them.

Disclosure - I’m a selling agent.

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Its in the agent's best interests to sell the land, the vendor could genuinely believe that the land is worth more than the valuation.

Maybe put your offer in writing with terms and email it to the agent to ask him to present it to the vendor, or better still sign a contract with deposit and if you don't trust the agent you can send it to the vendor's solicitor.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Maybe just find another block.