Price for double storey double brick townhouse in Perth?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Big Daddy, 19th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Any know a rough guide prices for a mid/high end double storey brick turnkey townhouse on a flat sandy site?
    eg 130sqm ground floor, 100sqm upper floor with 31c ceilings, stone benches, porcelain tiles, led lights, paving (quality like something expected for a nice rental in dianella, yokine)

Dads looking for quotes and current builder priced it at $420k about 12 months ago and will only drop price by <10k He has not signed the contract yet (only PPA) so he does not mind walking away and loosing deposit and getting plans drawn up if he can get significant savings now.

Thinking about getting a quote from Ventura ID, any others worth considering?

Thanks.

2. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

$1830m2 is pretty cheap for a turnkey double storey, but hard to say without seeing the plans. Of the few specs you listed though that is just about the norm rather than a higher end finish.

Will send you a PM.

3. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Doesnt sound too far out. Some of the project builders might be able to do it a bit cheaper. But these project builders start getting expensive when you start modifying their cookie cutters.

My sister built through Ventura. The house won some industry awards, and Ventura used it as a marketing peice a couple of times. Which was interesting. I thought the workmanship was an abslolute joke.
    Nothing in the house is square/level - and is out by an 'eye site' amount. If you look at the door frames they appear off centre as the ceiling out by a visually perceptable amount.
    There were loads of other issues, but the workmanship imo is a long way from acceptable.

Blacky

LifesGood likes this.
  4. Big Daddy

Thanks guys
    @Blacky who did you use for Yokine and would you recommend them?

Who else does a decent job for a fair price? This is a rental so he does not want to over capitalise and pay for a mm perfect job but it still needs to look nice and be off an acceptable standard without blowing the budget.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

When I did the rounds inspecting completed houses, I was impressed with the build quality of Danmar. They might be worth calling.

Big Daddy likes this.
  6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Yokine we used Integrity Builders
    BlackMinster we used Inspired
    Another current development (which isnt yet mentioned here) we are using Soverign

All were/are good and I would be inclined to reccomend them in reverse order (Eg - bottom to top)

Blacky

Sackie, Big Daddy and Perthguy like this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Its possible to get a mid spec for 300k and as little as 250k for a full frame. I recon you could do better then 420k but thats comparing like for like.

I use a building broker once plans are drawn up to tender out both personally and for clients.

Big Daddy likes this.
  8. Big Daddy

9. Big Daddy

Yes I recommend he get a drafter to get DA and then find a building broker but I can't remember why this didn't happen.

Is it recommended to supply working drawings to tender or is DA plans enough?

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I would get working drawings and a list of required finishes. For example, I have DA plans now which I am happy with but then in the working drawings I don't like the detailed kitchen or bathroom designs and changing those will up the price. I also want some upgrades, such as stone etc which is not reflected on either the DA plans or the working drawings.

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Personally i think going too basic for an area because its a rental (not sayiny this is the case with you) often is a false economy imo.

With that in mind though does it absolutrly have to be double storey? Your father would almost certainly add less value to the block than it cost him, ie would be throwing money away so is it worth it?

Ive seen properties, brand new, selling for over 100k less than it cost to build at prices as low as 650k or so. At thoae levels you could sell the land he owns, pay stamp duty on a completed property selling below replacement and be ahead in $$ and with a lot less headache vs building.

Blacky and Big Daddy like this.
  12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Im happy to provide some independent inspection reports of inspired's work on my job should anyone be seriousky considering them.

They can then make up their own minds.

Blacky and LifesGood like this.
  13. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Who do you use for this Colin? I used a broker once, for ease as I wanted to design the house myself and it worked out quite well.

14. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

It was info I gleaned form a building designer who is helping one of my clients with a development site.

I use "Home Builders Advantage" based in Balcatta. They do a few creative things in this space including sourcing, feaso and project managing developments.

Propin likes this.