Price check: install roof on 5.6x2.8m patio on existing concrete slab in Qld, $5.6k?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by proper_noobie, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. proper_noobie

proper_noobie Well-Known Member

Existing frame is wood, while it looks well built, a building company has returned a quote of $5,600 to rip out the current frame and install a new one out of colorbond. Am I right in thinking this is the "we don't want this job" price?

Stormwater is a few feet away, no concrete cutting required to install drainage.

Quoted $320 to remove and dispose of existing frame and $720 for council approval of new roof.

In the Ipswich LGA

[​IMG]

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Assuming this was already installed when you purchased, have you requested plans from council to see what was actually approved (if any), it may have been approved with sheeting.

Very easy to DIY (materials from Stratco etc) handyman would be allot cheaper (provided licensed roof plumbers aren't required for such in QLD).
    Depending on final outcome/desire a cheaper option is >This< (comes in dif colours)
    Just make sure there's flashing off the top front edge of the guttering to new roof to stop rain dripping through the join and all the cloth joins are properly sealed/fixed.

No Probs likes this.
  3. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

They are having a lend. Probobly don't want the job. The frame looks ok. Buy some colorbond and get a handyman/builder to install, would only take an afternoon at most. This is a really simple job. I'd be surprised if this cost more than $2K materials included, I reckon you would have enough left over for a beer!

4. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Remember this.
    Retail cost of zinclume roof sheet is $10.20 / Lm. That is, 1000mm long x 762mm width

Do your sums on that.

Arnel likes this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That frame look ok to me ,can't understand why the frame has to reset,just ring the local council and ask the question if this was passed prior,some plumbing companies have seconds most are new runs of sheets just the order was made to order and was never picked up,they start at $7.50 per lin metre,you can be lucky and find the size you require,just be sure you under and over flash the point where the sheet line up with the building and have the fall in place to take the storm water away,,.imho..
    http://stratco.com.au/our-products/building-construction/cladding/

6. proper_noobie

I rang the council today and couldn't get anything useful other "check the website" and a permit is around $900. Couldn't get much help whether it already had a permit or not, just refer to the website or a builder, they can do the legwork. Will ring around a few builders tomorrow. Quite frustrating....

Does anyone have some recommended builders/tradespeople?

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Depending on local regs (my example is WA)
    Current structure doesn't require approval as it doesn't have a roof.
    Placing a solid roof on it i.e. colourbond etc will require council approval.
    Placing shade cloth including the waterproof type I posted above shouldn't require approval.

8. BradHall

BradHall New Member

Hi. That does seen like an over-the-top quote for the work you are needing done. If you would like I would be happy to give you a quote on installing new sheeting,guttering and downpipes to run into your existing storm water. If you would like to get in contact with me feel free to email me on [email protected] or call me on 0403678069

9. proper_noobie

WestOz & all - It seems a permit is required. I've got a few more quotes and they ranged from $2600 - $8000 including permit. Seeing it will add value, the lower end of that range is fine by me.

I am completely capable of flying up, source and supply $5-600 of laserlite, fasteners and drainage to put it up myself, however I think the lower end of the quoted price is not that unreasonable for a couple of blokes to buy the material and spend an afternoon putting it up, minor plumbing works, as well as dealing with the council.

Brad, I'll give you a call tomorrow - Cheers

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

For shade cloth?

11. proper_noobie

Nah, for a proper roof, drainage and council permits. Do you think I shouldn't do it or 2.5-3k is too much?

12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I don't know your wallet, the property/area standard etc to judge, however in your position of distance, no DIY, if were my place and it accommodated;

I'd get a handyman to put up the waterproof shade cloth I showed above (no permit required, cheap, looks great when done) if necessary I'd run it into a PVC gutter (depends where waters gunna go without it) with a down-pipe (or chain) into a newly created garden bed under it, or soak-well (otherwise a trench has to be dug, permit to storm water etc)

13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Agree with others. Keep the existing structure. Check for any areas that have rotted and fix. Add colorbond or laser lite sheeting gutter and single downpipe. If against house don't forget flashing against wall if 2 story. If single. story depending on height you may be able to tuck sheets under house eve.