Health & Family Prescription glasses - Is it normal to feel weird when you first start using them?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Anthony Brew, 4th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Hey

I've never used glasses before. Middle aged. When I am really tired at the end of the day, my right eye tends to get a bit blurry, but that has been like that for a long long time.
    Past maybe 4-5 days I've noticed that something just doesn't feel right. It is ok when out and about, but in front of the computer (which is my job all day), if I close either eye, the other can read ok, but it kind of feels weird reading with both open - like they are not really working together the way they normally are.

Went into a shop to get it checked and got some glasses. I thought that when you put on glasses, it would all of a sudden feel just "right", but it is not like that. It just feels different and kind of weird. My eyes actually get tired more often than without the glasses and feel like I need to look away from the computer more often than before. Is this normal?

Also, when I take them off, everything is much more blurry than before - I guess my eyes adjust to using the lenses, so when taking it off, it takes a few seconds to adjust back. If this is not normal I am concerned that if the lens is not right I will cause damage to my eyes.

The glasses are clearer for really really tiny writing which I can not normally read any more, but 99.9% of the time I don't actually need it for that, so I don't much care about that.

Just wondering if this sounds normal or not?

24218.jpg

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't sound right - almost as if the script is not right.

Was it one of the big chains?

The Y-man

Anthony Brew likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are not happy, go back to the optometrist fir their advice.
    Marg

wylie, Anthony Brew and kierank like this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is normal but I feel the same way. I am onto my 3rd or 4th prescription over about 20 years and I still don't like wearing glasses and only wear them if I have to. Doesn't feel right to me and never has.

I have the same experience when first removing but my eyes adjust. In my experience wearing glasses has not made my eyesight worse but then I don't wear them a lot, only when I have to really.

That said, I think Marg is right

Take them back, explain how you feel and get the optometrist to check them out.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Go back and talk to the optometrist, as others have said.

The lens won't damage your eyes, so don't worry about that.

It is not unusual for a new prescription to feel a bit odd at first - especially if you have multi focals. But best to check.

EN710 and Anthony Brew like this.
  6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Beware on stairs :eek:

Google eye exercises/training

Maybe you don't really need them ?

Anthony Brew likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If you are not happy/confident with their service, change optometrists.

IMHO, one can never pay too much for good health treatment, including one's eyes.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  8. Anthony Brew

Thanks a lot for the responses.

No it isn't.
    I am in a SE Asian country.
    I asked a friend who is a local here and they recommended this place.

After posting here, I checked online to see if there is somewhere else to go to and cross check the first guy.
    There are loads of westerners here that use a popular forum and a search on that showed dozens and dozens of people recommending this place incredibly highly, even saying they would not even consider going somewhere else. So I am thinking I should stick with him, but just go back and have a chat.

Yeah that is a good idea - I will go back and have a chat to them.

Hmm yea that is interesting that it is the same for you - that it just doesn't feel right.
    Yeah I will go back and have a chat to him

Yeah I was just reading about the multi focals thing (I never had any need to know anything about this before - hence my ignorance about it). Does this mean that the lower down in the lens it is actually a bit more magnified? I think it does kinda warp (or whatever you call it) towards the lower 1/4 and the top 3/4 seems more stable. If this is the case, I really really dislike that. The guy said the glasses are only for close up and I will damage my eyes for using it for seeing further away - in which case I don't get the point of having more magnification for the lower part of the lens?? Plus I like to lean back and tilt my head back when reading and if this is what multi focals means then it might be what is making it feel so out of whack. Please let me know if I've misunderstood what multi-focals means.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Multifocals are constructed so that the prescription for reading is at the bottom of the lenses, and the prescription for seeing in the distance is in about the top 2/3 of the lenses, with a gradation between.

I have worn glasses for 50 years for seeing in the distance. I've had multifocals but can't really get used to them, I've gone back to single focal lenses.

For you, you just may need to keep the glasses on for reading, and take them off for other activities. Get used to them first, then check out multifocals.

Perthguy and Anthony Brew like this.
  10. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I didn't like the multi focal lenses either, Specsavers were great, changed them to single lens, no charge.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  11. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Im with you!
    Only had reading glasses last three years...just got first pair of multis.

I would definitely recommend you checking with the optometrist but I too am struggling to get use to the multis.

Family keep telling me give them about three weeks - retrain the brain and all...but taking a while to focus on things is frustrating me no end.....havent got them out of the box for 5 days now :(

Anthony Brew likes this.
  12. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

Some people lose their vision clarity when they get older. here is my take on this issue:

My eyes started to go a bit weird when I reached mid 40's. Turns out it is normal and nothing wrong with my eyes but what happens is with age they do not work as fast when focusing or something like that, something to do with part of the eye system opening and closing. I also found reading was difficult but everything else is normal. I also work on computers all day and have since the 90's so this probably didn't help. I never bought glasses but instead got a magnifying glass and I only use it when I need to. The reason why is I just don't like things over my eyes besides top brand sunglasses like vaurnet's or bolle's in the sun. I hate the thought of contact lenses and would never ever have something artificial sitting over my eyes. The same goes for glasses, I don't see them been helpful long term wearing something artificial over your eyes all day but they are better than contact lenses in my opinion.

With the computer I found it only effects me if I don't use a good quality screen and graphic card and keep the screen clean regularly. Diet can also improve things, research that plus exercise and sleep. I found if I did not get a good nights sleep it would magnify the issue by a huge amount and my sight would be very blurry even just looking at other things besides reading. Also check your eye brows as they can sag as you get older so keep them trimmed to not make the issue worse, exercise and diet will also help with that issue.

Years years on and I still have not had to get glasses, in fact my eyes seem to have got a little better, go figure and I'm not even living the perfect healthy lifestyle I plan to get back to soon which will make it even better. I only use my magnifying glass when I need to and I would do the same with glasses. I may buy myself a nice top quality pair of glasses in the future to use at times when a magnifying glass is not suitable, like when out etc.

A good Facebook group on this subject can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/eyeclinic/

Sasim and Anthony Brew like this.
  13. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I had what you describe when I worked in IT and looking at a screen all day everyday.
    My eyes were both -1.50.
    I got glasses and they just never felt right. Always felt like my eyes got more tired, quicker. And took a while to adjust when taking them off.
    Then I got LASIK (8 years ago now), and have been perfect since.
    Good pain for 24hrs (like an onion being cut, but 5x worse), and couldn't safely drive for a week (even though they say you can drive the next day), but so worth it.
    Maybe a consideration?

Perthguy and Anthony Brew like this.
  14. Anthony Brew

Hmm reading about that now.
    Thanks for mentioning it, and thanks for mentioning your experience with it!

15. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

A few scenarios here, in no particular order:

1) never had glasses before therefore can't get used to it. People usually eventually adapt. It can do with the fact that the lenses are a certain distance from the eye (around 12mm) and that can cause magnification and aberration etc, whereas you won't get that with your own eyes or contact lenses.
    2) Go back to see if you have any binocular vision problem like an eye turn, especially due to prolonged time at the computer
    3) Some people can't get used to astigmatism (you have -0.25)
    4) unfortunately with age the time needed to focus takes longer because the muscles dont work as well which is why you need reading glasses

So I suggest persisting with them a little but if you want to return to the optom for advice do it before the satisfaction warranty expires

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I hope you did not go for the deal... buy 1, get 1 free:eek:

17. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I have worn glasses for over 50 years and sometimes get a little bit of a problem for a couple of days after a new prescription as my eyes have got to get used to not straining.
    Moving to multifocals however is quite a bit harder. I still remember going to a supermarket the day I got them and felt that the store was swaying when I looked up and down the shelves. I soon adapted to that but playing racquet sports took several weeks as the ball seemed to jump when it came towards you close to the ground.

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My eyes starting playing up a few years after reading PC all day.

I guess I needed reading glasses.

I went to a two dollar shop and grabbed a pair.

Now the law is after me.

willair likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

for $20 you can buy glasses from Chemist, they work a treat, I have 3 of these in strategic locations.
    I have prescription glasses for reading but I keep losing them, then find them, then losing them, I have dementia.

datto likes this.