Prepurchase Building Inspection Report

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by ARTIS, 18th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Hello Everyone,
    I am looking at buying my very first & investment property and this is the issues my building inspection guy has raised so far. Haven't seen so many reports so far. Hence need expert opinion.

"Building: Main Building
    Finding: Exterior roof - Leaking
    Information: Active roof leaks were evident at the time of inspection. Roof leaks can have a number of
    causes, including damage to roof coverings, deterioration of roof fixtures and fittings, or loose
    associated materials (fascias etc.).It appears that the roof is too flat and even sloping the wrong way, this needs to be rectified by a builder and roof plumber.
    Where water leaks are active, rain penetration is likely to cause water damage to associated
    structures and building elements in this area, which can have a range of implications. If left
    unmanaged, the development of major structural damage to the roofing and associated
    structures may occur.
    A roof plumber should be appointed as soon as possible to primarily identify the cause of the
    leak, and to provide subsequent repair works as necessary. Depending on the extent of the
    damage, replacement of sections of the roof covering and/or roofing structures may be
    required, and may be performed by a registered builder or qualified

Finding: Gutters - Rusted or corroded
    Information: This building element shows evidence of rusting and corrosion, which is likely to have
    developed as a result of excessive exposure to moisture and or inadequate cooatings..
    As surface rust provides no protection to the underlying iron, the deteriorating condition is
    likely to worsen if not addressed in the short-term future.
    Where possible, the use of galvanized (treated) metals or aluminium coated metals aid in rust
    prevention, as does regular general maintenance. Rust formation can be controlled with
    coatings, such as paint, that isolate the iron from the environment.
    Rusting and corrosion should be managed by ideally removing or limiting the affected surface
    from exposure to moisture. A registered builder may be appointed to replace any building
    elements that have been severely affected by rust or water damage.

Building: Garage
    Finding: Roof sheets - Rusted
    Information: Metal roofs generally comprise numerous individual sheets, which join and overlap. These
    intersections are particularly prone to lift at the edge and consequently rust at these points.
    Upon inspection of the exterior roofing structure, evidence of rust to these sections was
    identified. If left unmanaged, these degrading joins can allow water ingress to the internal
    roofing structures, potentially leading to secondary damage of building elements. Accelerated
    deterioration of the roofing sheets and any associated building elements is also likely to
    occur.
    A roofing contractor should be appointed immediately to assess the damage to the roofing
    sheets and to perform remedial works as necessary. Works may include replacement of
    severely affected roofing sheets or minor works such as the application of rust-******ant
    surface protectors.

Building: Main Building
    Finding: Windows - Stiff to slide
    Information: Several windows throughout the property were jammed and difficult to operate at the time of
    the inspection. Windows provide ventilation to the adjoining area and should be at a fully
    operational level to ensure user comfort. Restricted function of the window may also pose as
    a potential safety hazard if required for emergency egress from the building.
    Generally, factors such as general age of the building element and a lack of maintenance are
    the usual causes for this type of defect.
    Replacement of window hardware or frame may be required, as well as minor repairs and
    cleaning. A registered builder or general handy person will be required to repair the affected
    windows.

Defects 3.03
    Finding: Mortar - Deterioration
    Information: Mortar, or `bedding`, is the material which fills joins and intersections between tiles and other
    building elements on the exterior roof covering, such as gable ends, hip capping and valleys.
    Upon inspection of the exterior roof, it was noted that sections of the mortar show varying
    levels of deterioration.
    Mortar generally deteriorates as a result of frequent exposure to weather conditions over a
    prolonged period of time. Mortar that is deteriorating may allow water ingress into the roof
    void, putting associated building elements and roofing structures at risk of water damage.
    Deteriorated mortar also detracts from the functionality of roof tiles and other roofing
    elements, potentially decreasing weather tightness and roof drainage.
    Mortar deterioration can be attended to by a handyperson where areas of deterioration are
    localised and easily accessible. Otherwise, consultation with a roofing contractor is advised
    where greater works are required.

Finding: Gutters - Water pooling
    Information: Water was found to be pooling in sections of the roof guttering. This is generally a secondary
    defect caused by blocked or partially blocked gutters. Such blockages and subsequent
    water pooling are likely to lead to rust and water damage to associated structures if left
    unattended.
    Any areas of guttering that shows evidence of water pooling should be checked for partial or
    full blockages and any secondary damage that may have occurred as a result. Depending on
    the extent of the damage, building elements may require repair and/or replacement to ensure
    adequate roof drainage and function of exterior plumbing system.
    A roofing plumber should be appointed as soon as possible to rectify this issue. It is highly
    advised that all gutters be maintained on a frequent basis to ensure the condition of roof
    plumbing.

Finding: Electrical switchboard - Old ceramic fuses
    Information: The electrical switchboard while appearing to have adequate safety switches installed has

old ceramic fuses in place.
    While this on its own on is not considered a defect it is noted for the clients consideration
    that a switchboard upgrade may be required in the short to mid term to improve the
    functionality of the electrical system. A licensed electrician could be appointed to provide
    quotation for the works at the client`s discretion which may in turn expose other required
    works to bring the system up to a compliant state.

Finding: HWS Overflow - Not Connected
    Information: The Hot Water System (HWS) overflow was found to be disconnected from storm water

drainage and is creating excessive moisture in the surrounding area.
    These damp conditions can lead to secondary defects such as rot, rust or corrosion of
    associated building elements, the formation of fungal decay, or even the creation of potential
    slip hazards. When coupled with poor site drainage, pooling of water may also attract termite
    activity to this area.
    It is highly recommended that a licensed plumber be appointed to connect the HWS overflow
    in order to prevent such an environment from being created. These minor works should be
    carried out as soon as possible.

Building: Garage
    Finding: Door - stiff to slide
    Information: The door to this area was difficult to operate at the time of inspection. This is likely due to

damaged wheels which help the door to operate in a smooth fashion.
    Doors provide ventilation and exits to the adjoining area and should be at a fully operational
    level to ensure user comfort and safety. Restricted function of the door may also pose as a
    potential safety hazard if required for emergency egress from the building.
    Generally, factors such as general age of the building element and a lack of maintenance are
    the usual causes for this type of defect.
    Replacement of door running hardware may be required, as well as minor repairs and
    cleaning. A registered builder or general handy person will be required to repair the sliding
    door."

Can some please guide me towards a builder/contractor and plumber in Geelong/Corio who can assist with me with these quotes.

Expert advice, its a good looking house with good rental return, big block of land and potential to subdivide. Should I go looking for a some compensation from the vendors or just move on.

My initial deposit is fully refundable. I have to get back to them before the end of this week.

Thanks Guys!

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good report actually. In summary:
    1. Your porch roof has a leak that needs fixing
    2. Some rusty gutters
    3. Iron roof on garage has rust
    4. Windows need new rollers
    5. You need to get the tiled roof re-pointed on the capping
    6. Old ceramic fuses - a non-issue
    7. HWS overflow not connected to stormwater (I've NEVER seen one connected yet)
    8. Garage roller door needs maintenance

Talk to the inspector if you're concerned, but it is probably like every other second-hand house in the area.

wylie, ARTIS and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Thanks for a quick reply.

This seems pretty normal from your experience.

Gives a breather to me.

regards,

Arti

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Mostly minor. And might not need to do anything immediately.

Except the ceramic fuses and hot water issue (and I think you should get the rusty roof assessed.

I think you should replace the fuses with the plug in switch type. At least that’s what I was advised by an electrician who did it for free - the plugs aren’t that expensive).

I think this is a good move because if a ceramic fuse blows you have to replace the wire to get the lights or power back. Few people know how to do this these days. Those that do may use the wrong diameter wire and cause a fire.

Eventually, if you need any work done on the switchboard, the electrician may be required to upgrade it by regulation.

Last edited: 18th Jul, 2018
    ARTIS likes this.
  5. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Hi Joynz,

Thanks for the response.

I will certainly get the ceramic fuses done.

what is the hot water issue? I didn't quite understand that.

Can I go back and ask the vendor to fix the roof leak though?

6. Propertunity

You can ask for whatever you like. Have a backup plan if they say no. (is it a deal-breaker or are you still prepared to proceed to purchase?)

7. K8F

K8F Well-Known Member

I would get it all quoted on and ask the seller to compensate for most of it.. like the leaking roof areas and gutters.

At the very least, if you know how much it is to fix, then you have an idea on whether you are still getting a good deal for the house if the seller wont compensate.

You can ask for an extension on the building and pest period due to all these issues.
    It’s likely that most buyers (unless they are builders) would find these things an issue and want compensation.

All these things are ?possibly inital repairs so wouldnt be deductible until CGT time? Dont quote me on that..

8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hot water system overflow leaking onto the ground - potential termite issue.

9. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Sounds like the house may need extensive electrical work. If it's an older house with ceramic fuses I would be expecting to pay for a total rewire.

10. Propertunity

Currently I live in a 25yo house that has ceramic fuses and it certainly does not need a rewire. It is just a non-issue but easily fixed for convenience sake by replacing with switches. Fuses should not be blowing anyway - unless there is a faulty appliance plugged in.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Has a licensed sparkie certified it ? I have a friend who wondered why earth leakage didnt seem to work....It didnt have a earth on the downstairs but did for upstairs. Upstairs was extended long ago.

His problem occurred when he put a pool in. Sparkie wouldnt add a circuit until full rewire and new meters and fuses to comply. This is NSW. Apparently last licensed tradie is responsible for the board and its compliance if they make changes.

hobartchic likes this.
  12. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

7. HWS overflow not connected to stormwater (I've NEVER seen one connected yet)

on new builds they connect them into a storm water drain also with aircon pipes.

13. hobartchic

Yep. Also old wiring (20 years is considered time to change now) is a leading cause of house fires. Insurance companies are well within their rights to ask questions about this in the event wiring causes a fire and compensate accordingly.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Wiring that is only 20 years old is likely to be perfectly fine. There is no blanket ‘20 year rule’ and no need to rewire unless a qualified sparky says something is wrong.

However, wiring from the 1960s and similar eras could be brittle and might need replacing (this happened to me). An electrician can tell very quickly if there is an issue.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2018
  15. hobartchic

I got the information from licensed electricians and fire experts. That's what they currently recommend. Around a third of house fires in Australia are due to old faulty wiring.

16. hobartchic

Sounds like you were lucky. That wiring should have been replaced years ago. Plumbing from the 60s and earlier though is considered due for replacement.

17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s different in Hobart, but I had my IP wiring in Melbourne inspected by an electrician who is professional, experienced and trustworthy and he was very clear that the wiring was fine and there was no need to change it - and it is over 20 years old! I did upgrade the switchboard though, on his advice.

There is a big difference between the old rubber or cotton-sheathed wiring which degrades and modern wiring.

Increasing the capacity of a house to cope with lots of high-powered electrical equipment so the power doesn’t trip is a slightly different thing. My house has been rewired, but still has a 32 amp capacity so if I installed three 18 amp ovens and ran them all at once the power would trip. Inconvenient, but not dangerous at all.

18. ARTIS

ARTIS Member

Thank you all for your expert opinions.

I am definitely considering changing the fuses to plug in switch type.

I have gone ahead and exchanged the property without asking for compensation, because it was a good buy compared to other sales in the area.