Prepping House for Sale

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by DrewOB, 31st Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DrewOB

DrewOB Member

Hi Guys,

Looking at selling our house at the end of the year. We owner built a few years back now and have decided we want to keep on renovating - so time to let this one go while the market is still good. What I wanted was some advice on what I should get done to attract the best possible price.

We are located South West Sydney on an acre block. Our neighbour (admittedly, larger and nicer home but less usable back yard) just sold for 1.8m and our bank valuation recently came in at 1.4m.

The house is built on a sloping block, which has enabled me to build a large under house garage with workshop. Additional too this, I added a storage space which is yet to be concreted that measures roughly 60sqm - a nice large area. We were considering two options here, either a downstairs/internal granny flat or a gym/games room. I left additional plumbing in this area for a granny flat / kitchen just in case. Thoughts?

Our next point of call is the landscaping. Being a Modern Country style home, we have added some nice gardens in around the house (roses etc) along with sandstone retaining walls. We will be doing a brick path to the house and post & rail fence to dial in the charm. The issue we have is there is dead space (6m wide x 20m) down one side of the house. The grass doesn't grow well and our services (aircon/hot water) are located here. We can't decide if to make use of this space like a simple paved area with some raised veggie gardens or to just leave as is. No point have a seating area as the opposite side of the house has nice views with a large 11m x 4.5m alfresco deck. Has anyone else worked with an area that is similar?

Any suggestions would be fantastic.

I can't believe we are going to sell this house that we poured our last 5 years into - but want to move onto bigger and better things!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you OB'ed less than 5 years ago you may not be able to get another OB licence so soon.

You will also need to effect home owner's warranty insurance for the balance of the statutory warranty period.

3. DrewOB

DrewOB Member

I believe it's 7 years & 6 months the mandatory period, in NSW at least. Looking at some minor Reno's in the meantime before OB again.

Will check out the Home Owners Warranty Insurance and see whats required. Thanks.