Prefab vs built on site for Granny flat (Lake Macquarie)

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by krispy, 6th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We are in the early stages of looking at a GF for the back of an IP in Lake Macquarie. Basic 60m2/2brd. Large block with backyard access.

I was wondering if anyone had gone the MH route instead of built on site with a GF company and what are the advantages or disadvantages with such a build. Are they even allowed in that area as a granny flat?

We are looking at companies like Hunter Valley Homes for the prefab and Backyard grannys for the build but would love some more recommendations for this area.

Also does anyone know what the section 94 contribution is in this area.

Thank you

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother with prefab unless there is a significant saving. You build it onsite it will look like another house and better chance of gaining a favourable valuation.

As I said in the other thread, speak to the council regarding section 94 but im pretty sure it's around 12k for a 2 bed dwelling: Section 94 Development Contributions

There is a link half way down the page with the rates.

3. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

If you ring council they will be able to tell you what the S94 contributions will be, make sure you mention it will be a GF.

A Town Planner is invaluable to talk to about such developments and what is acceptable, more so than the council imo.

Dee Daunt likes this.
  4. Archaon

"Lake Macquarie City Council does not have exemption from S94 levies for Affordable Housing under the SEPP."

Ouch.

Dee Daunt likes this.
  5. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Thank you. I rang the council and was told to email them so i have done that.
    They said it will depend on the total number of bedrooms all up including the main residence.

I will look up a town planner as well. Thanks for both of your help.

Spoke to HVH and prefab are now acceptable in Lake Macquarie under council ( just newly passed) but he seems to think 94 contributions are around $15k :(

Last edited: 6th Sep, 2017
  6. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Existing is a 3 bedroom dwelling, proposed is a 2 bedroom secondary dwelling. Total = $9,995.02 (valid until 14th November 2017).

7. Dee Daunt

Dee Daunt New Member

If you have troubles finding a Planner for this area contact me. I deal with disputes with Council and DA refusals, so work with some really experienced Planners that have good relationships with LMCC. They are much cheaper than advice from a planning and development lawyer like myself and should be able to manage the whole application process for you.

Archaon likes this.
  8. Archaon

How big is the block?

9. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

1000m2

10. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Thanks Dee

11. Archaon

At that size I think you should look into perhaps subdividing, or At Least look into the potential, considering you don't have any exemptions under the Lake Macquarie LGA for the SEPP Section 94 contributions you could be throwing away the opportunity to create equity.

Best to talk to a good Town Planner about your options imo.

krispy likes this.
  12. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Archaon. Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately the property is not one we want to develop or subdivide at this stage. Sentimental reasons, the area and also the need for a cheap rental option for an older family member hence the granny flat. I dont think at that size block our rent for the front house in that area will change if we take some off. If anything it will probably make the backyard into a more manageable size for tenants. We also plan to do some renos on the front house as well as we go.

We have another the same size close to the shops at Warners bay so we were hoping to dip our toes into the developers world with a granny flat first to learn from the process before we develop that one. That will be a much bigger project. A town planner will be our first port of call with that one. We are new to it all so we have a lot to learn.

Last edited: 12th Sep, 2017
    Archaon likes this.
  13. Archaon

If it's for a family member than I 100% understand.

You also have options if you never plan to rent it out in the future, by not applying to council to have it approved as a GF, and just build an acceptable dwelling via shed slab/timber frame shed and put the plumbing in after council inspection.

krispy likes this.
  14. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

I think we would probably like the option to rent it out in the future but that is a good suggestion.

15. Archaon

Absolutely, I'm of the same opinion, it's good to have options.