Preapproval assessment timeline

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Liza28, 19th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I see this as a significant risk. A pre-approval without credit oversight isn't really a pre-approval, just the bankers opinion within a few safety margins.

I know that most would ultimately be approved and funded anyway, but I can give you plenty of examples where someone came to me stating that the bank gave them a pre-approval, then later reneged on that pre-approval. Usually about a week or two prior to settlement. People have lost their deposits over this.

The CBA takes several shortcuts like this. Fast service is wonderful, but it's intended to take people out of the market. It does occasionally cause some very serious problems.

Liza28, luckyone and Brady like this.
  2. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Peter not often that we disagree. But in this case we do.
    Difference is this isn't just a pre-approval on a bit of paper, then when contract comes needs to get assessed by credit.
    Just to be clear I'm not just talking pre-approval, the loan I input this morning is approved, documents printed, will be signed and sent off for certification and refinancing with OFI.
    Similarly the application I'm working on now it's a purchase, if it didn't involve 2 securities that I was ensuring no x-coll, then I could have approved, printed, signed and be ready for settlement 3-4 days after documents signed.

I would bet these approvals being pulled that you example aren't from CBA bankers.
    As they would have resulted in a 'bank committed loan' and likely proceeded with big trouble for the banker.

This so called 'shortcut' is because CBA bankers only do CBA loans, day in day out.
    They should know the policy far better than any broker, as they don't have any other lenders on their panel.

Again this isn't for every loan, right now casual, self-employed, comm/bonus still need sign off. Albeit 1-2 day turnaround.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its possible, but since it has been lodged already you might as well keep it going. But you might be able to apply with another lender at the same time if time is of the essence.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

That's the question, is time of the essence?
    All well and good if CBA can approve within a faster time frame but rarely is that the sole priority for basing lender and product recommendation... unless of course that's all you have got to offer...

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
    Terry_w likes this.
  5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Thats Speedy for sure

I guess the extra credit oversight isnt a bad thing per se.

Our CBA portfolio arrears is 25 % of the national average, i doubt its just us, we aint that good

For us approval times arent an issue, but doc prep and certs can be.

Thats where lenders like Mac are creaming it, with one day approvals, electronic docs the next day, docusign etc

ta
    rolf

Liza28 likes this.
  6. ostrich98

ostrich98 Well-Known Member

Hi, just thought I’d give you the perspective as a customer as I’ve used both CBA banker and broker for loan application. We too work in health care industry and basically got our pre-approval (90% LVR > $2m for IP) loan approved through CBA in 48 hours after submitting all required docs. This happened mid/late March which was probably at the height of the pandemic. On the other hand we also consulted a broker who told us that it would probably take 2-4 weeks to hear back about our pre-approval and not convinced that we could even get the amount we wanted.

At the end we went with CBA through the banker. However I will probably consult a broker if I were to refinance/restructure our loans

Brady, Lindsay_W and Liza28 like this.
  7. Liza28

Liza28 Active Member

Thank you for your insight.
    It's not that we are in a hurry of purchasing but the peace of mind you get when you know that you've already have the preapproval letter from a lender so shopping around for a land can commence. I am sure that our situation is not complicated as we are not refinancing so I don't see any reason why Westpac takes long to assess. A bit frustrated with our broker because he insisted that time frame for westpac is the same and that they're platinum brokers so waiting time will not be that long. If only I knew, we should've gone personally to CBA banker.

Brady and Lindsay_W like this.
  8. Lindsay_W

Nah, you'll be better off with Westpac in the long run, product wise, and if your broker is platinum with them then timing won't be bad, same as if they went with CBA actually but Westpac product will be better no doubt. Don't be sucked in by a flashy "processing time frame" at the expense of a better product.
    Trust your broker, they're looking after you.

Last edited: 19th May, 2020
    Liza28 likes this.
  9. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Curious- how is the westpac loan better?

10. Liza28

Liza28 Active Member

11. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Also keen to hear thoughts on this

12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I willl bite :)

lets start with pricing

3.3x v for IO investment at sub 1 mill

Simpler split down process, no 27 page form

EAL2 ( loc) has a global limit , great for DR but has usual LOC risks

Great servicing for those clients with company loans that are non WBC

Less Basket Postcode restrictions around difficult securities eg Brisbane Strata stock, rather a per development focus.

10 years IO for Investment out of the box vs CBA 5+5 option

90 % no LMI medico and allied at 90 % IO , vs CBA PI only ( recent flux here though on both sides - temp I expect)

Loans dont auto close when paid down to zero

CBA pros for our team

Better servicing for portfolio builders, but same same for sole owner occs

More flex policy for self employed, cas or comms

Simpler service calc, the wbc one needs a 3 yr uni degree :)

Direct access to credit managers, vs WBC ivory tower of untouchables

24 hr approval if properly packaged, even for VERY complex deals

Expat lending, in the top 3

Ext of existing IO invest lending ( as at today) that can improve servicing a bunch

Alt servicing for expat and trust lending allowing neg gearing within the structure

Co and corporate trustee lending approved in same biz unit as resi

CBA are more approachable overall for all biz units, esp lately being onshore, comes with a 2 hr wait time though on call centres :(. WBC et al will recover from this quickly once Manilla and Bangalore lock downs lift. CBA will still struggle - but im good with that -made in australia and all that.

Fan of Wesuck, Or Connem Wealth nah :) Im a fan of what lender is the best fit for actual needs vs perceived want of borrower, be that CBA, WBC or lender X.

Increasingly Mac and AMP get the nod for acive DR flex, all else being equal

As for a BIG 4 comparison, product wise ANZ and NAB arent within a snow balls of CBA or WBC..........especially post settlement work.

Nab and ANZ are land line, CBA and WBC are 4 g..............................

ta
    rolf

Peter_Tersteeg and wilso8948 like this.
  13. Liza28

Liza28 Active Member

"Westpac product will be better no doubt."

Please enlighten us on this as I'm also keen to know.

14. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

That's fine @Rolf Latham a lot possibilities in the comparisons.
    Any of these actually fit you @Liza28?

@Rolf Latham does WBC allow IO at origination for construction?

15. Lindsay_W

Rolf beat me to it :) If you're still unsure, ask your broker why they recommended Westpac over CBA
    Don't get me wrong there are plenty of reasons to use CBA especially around their exceptions, back to back for non-exception policy type scenarios the Westpac slightly edges over CBA.

Liza28 likes this.
  16. Lindsay_W

WBC certainly does, most lenders insist on it actually.

Liza28 likes this.
  17. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Not talking IO during construction, that expected.
    As in after the loan if fully drawn down, fully established.
    Can the original loan be setup to start IO soon as build completed?

18. Lindsay_W

Sure can, needs to be applied for at the beginning, eg. you apply for 5 year IO, it will be IO during Construction and IO once construction completed for the remaining IO term, pretty standard really.

Brady likes this.
  19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I can't think of a lender that wouldn't do this (assuming it's for investment purposes).

20. Liza28

Liza28 Active Member

Thank you so much guys for all your inputs. So much help.

Terry_w likes this.