Pre-nups

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Property Twins, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I'm undecided.
    If you go into a marriage and make money together, it's obvious that you would split the share fairly if a separation occurred.
    But if one person has $20m, and the other doesn't even work when they get married...

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. VeronicaR

VeronicaR Well-Known Member

Someone who "doesn't even work" may be contributing to the wealth maintenance and building in other ways e.g. by running the household. I found myself unemployed when we relocated for my partner's job. Although I now work I do not earn anywhere near what he does. However I contribute a great deal in other ways.

A partnership where money is the only measure of contribution is a troubled one.

Agree that when a billionaire marries a homeless person this becomes complicated, but this does not happen very often.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I was thinking more about the older millionaire and the younger partner whose occupation might best be described as "Shopper".

4. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

You don't think she's earning every last cent? You think Edelsten's wives are/were with him because he's so charming and handsome?

I think it's a gross arrangement, but they made the deal: she gets material comfort, he gets sex and companionship with a much younger woman. If it costs him when it's over, I find it hard to feel sorry for him.

5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I have absolutely zero sympatgy for both of them

Both are just so ******** on many levels that i think it must be a publicity stunt. But at least they arent hurting any one.

He's not a stupid guy. While she has the iq of a household chicken, so it might be a match made in heaven

Chilliblue likes this.
  6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Come on buddy - I could almost see how someone could pick up what you were putting down - until this.

You really think talking to a bunch of divorced men is good research material for how biased the courts are?

Hint: They aren't biased. Why would they need to be?

Terry_w, AndrewTDP, VeronicaR and 3 others like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I love being in love. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling too. But like any big decisions in life. Part of being a responsbile adult is to think of the consequences.

If i were to remarry id have to consider my kids, my finances, my risk position, my ex, my family etc etc

Regardless, i see no benefit for me to get married what so ever. Im happy to be in a serious long term relation ship though

From a newly single man as of last night (2.5 year partner):eek::eek::eek:

8. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

"If I were to *repartner*" is what you should have said. If your 2.5 year partner was living with you, you were probably de facto anyway, and de factos have exactly the same rights as married partners. So sounds like you were re-partnered.

Sorry to hear about the break-up. x

9. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@MsAli

Would you personally go down to path of pre nup?

May be worthwhile doing a poll, lot of under 30 on forum. It will be interesting to see mix result.

For me, if I was to re married, pre nup would be must.

MTR likes this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Nah all is good. Made the decision last night. When id realised i actually preferred to go home to an empty house rather then her place. Just couldnt handle her continual blaming of me when she admitted to screwing up.

We never lived together, we both have our own places. No accounts, bills, or anythijg together. We went overseas holidaying together. She stayed over. I stayed over

Is this still defacto in the eyes of the law?

Perp likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Prenups are an american thing. They arent worth the paper they are written on here. There is a bfa which i have been told is more reliable but far from adequate

If there was a concrete way to protect yourselves. The number of men not getting married would be far higher

12. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Not another poll! :eek:

13. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely based on my understanding but I am not a lawyer. It's a multi-factorial test to which it's very hard to give a firm yes/no answer, but I'd think your situation sounds very low-risk.

14. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Hahaha!!

OC1 likes this.
  15. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

A BFA is a Binding Financial Agreement. They're mainly not called "pre-nuptials" because they can be made at any time - during or even after the relationship ends.

How strong are they? Actually, quite. There are limited circumstances in which they'll be put aside (particularly if your child-bearing years are past): http://www.diyfamilylawaustralia.com/Topic/bfa_can_bfa_set_aside_updated_terminated.html

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Im not so sure about that. Ive yet to hear one person both professional or armchair say a bfa is remotely even decent.

If that were the case every single insecure and pesimistic male like me would have a spare bfa in his walllet!

17. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Next topic for discussion:

Polygamy

;)

Azazel likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Real estate investing, then the metal thread, now this.
    I think we have a lot in common Steven, haha.

Steven Ryan likes this.
  19. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Like one wife isn't enough! o_O

Chilliblue and Azazel like this.
  20. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Hey, if polyandry's on the table as well, I'm totes in.