Pre-Handover/Practical Completion Inspection - Canberra

Discussion in 'Development' started by joemjd9, 12th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. joemjd9

joemjd9 Member

Hello all,

I have received a Notice of Practical completion from my builder.

But the builder is organizing an "Independent" Practical Inspection which includes approximately 1 hour for me, the builder and the inspector to go over defects to meet practical completion.

I have requested that I will organize my own independent inspection but the builder is quoting, that I have to use their inspector. They have stated that if I organize my own, it requires an induction process,etc (I am awaiting details on the comprehensive list)

Also there is no mention about using their inspector in the HIA contract. The only requirement is that, the inspection be done within 5 Business days of the notice of practical completion.

I find it really strange. Has anyone else experienced the same? Thank you.

2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Seems like a pretty obvious conflict of interest - a developer using their "own" inspector :-(

I don't have any direct experience with this situation - but I'd be hitting up your solicitor for some advice. I can't see why you couldn't appoint whoever you like to carry out an inspection on your behalf to check for defects.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I always have the lawyer add into the contract an independent inspection at multiple stages of the build. It's always harder getting things fixed after the property has been handed over.