"Practice" reno on IP before starting on PPOR?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by AsburyJuke, 5th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

In about 2-3 years time, I plan to carry out a major renovation on my PPOR - probably $300k+ cost, for at least a couple of months work. This will hopefully transform our place from a comfortable (if slightly frayed) old house into a pretty special "forever home".

Although I've done plenty of small odd-jobs and landscaping type work, I've never managed a major renovation. Luckily there's no rush, and I have plenty of time to plan and learn some lessons first!

I was thinking about doing a much cheaper renovation on a nearby IP first, as a sort of "sandbox"...where mistakes won't cost as much (in $ or emotion), I can learn more about the process, test out a builder and build a network of trades and suppliers.

Both renos would involve some structural work, new kitchen, new bathroom, new wiring and painting. My (guesstimate) budget would be about $100k for the IP and maybe 3 times that for the PPOR - difference will be due to the amount of structural work, quality of finishes etc...

Has anyone else taken this approach? I'd like to treat the IP reno as a sort of audition for a builder... if they do a good job and I can trust them, then they get the PPOR contract...

Thoughts??

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea. You get an improved IP and will learn some "what to do" and "what not to do" with your PPOR on a place that you don't have to live in every day.

3. AsburyJuke

Yeah, that's the idea.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

4. wylie

I think anyone who has renovated anything picks this information up as they go. We certainly have.

5. AsburyJuke

haha - yeah, sorry I mean has anyone "auditioned" a builder like this?

6. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I haven't auditioned a builder this way for personal jobs, but we certainly stick to trusted trades when we find a good one.

At work though, when we have a good experience with a builder, it puts them in good stead for the next project. These are larger commercial projects though.

One thing we have noticed is that the medium / larger builders can have several teams / gangs that operate on a particular project and then move on. We find that the quality of the site supervisor / foreman can make a big difference in the whole journey. If we find a good one, we request that person for the next build.

wylie likes this.
  7. AsburyJuke

Can anyone recommend a building designer in SEQ? I don't need an architect, as I already know (roughly) what I want - just need somebody who can produce an initial set of drawings to get quotes from builders.

8. wylie

You could try Reynolds Design.

Home

9. AsburyJuke

Cheers Wylie - I actually spoke to David Reynolds last year. His service wasn't for me... he's clearly excellent at what he does, and offers an almost "architect level" of service - whereas I'm after something a bit more basic!

wylie likes this.
  10. wylie

We've also had Don Macleod draw up more simple things several years ago and I googled just now and it seems he is still working.

Could be worth a call on 33971704.

He was cheaper, but the jobs he drew up for us were considerably smaller than the ones David drew for us.