NSW PPOR with $1.6m

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bassar, 25th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bassar

Bassar Member

Hello,

Where would you spend $1.6m for a PPOR in Sydney for a family of 4 (currently with a baby <12 months and another one planned in a year or so)? We've been renting in the lower north shore for the last 5 years and we've decided to it's time to buy our own. We're looking for something to live in for 10-15 years in an area with access to good Primary schools. We have family in the Schofields area and so we'd like to be as close as possible to there.

These are our options:

1) 3 bedroom apartment in the lower north shore, we love the area and have built our community of friends there, although space is something we'd struggle with not to mention not being able to get much capital growth or ability to add value later on.

2) A house in the Hills area, looking at Baulkham Hills for School and Castle Hill for access to the Metro. We'd be far away from our friends, not too mention the long commute to work ( we work in the CBD and Macquarie park)

3) A townhouse/duplex in the Upper Northshore, particularly like Epping, Beecroft and Wahroonga area. I don't think we'd be able to afford a house here with our budget.

I may be missing out on other great suburbs so please let me know!

2. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

When I first read family of 4, I had assumed 4 kids but you've only got 1 kid presently - so small family. Yeah lower or upper north shore - Cremone/Neutral Bay you'll find 3 bedders in your price range. St Leonards or other suburbs more along the train line will be harder; 2 bedders predominate.

I'd only consider Hills district or Schoey if your "family of 4" means 4 grown up kids each with their own vehicles and likely to want parking space outside of your residence. There's more space in abundance there.

3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Option 2 - house
    Most clients I have spoken to say they are looking to upgrade to a house for their children to run around - its a common theme for those with young families.

4. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

$1.6M you can probably get an decent house in the Hills area. It wont be anything fancy or the best but it will serve its purpose. Everyone seems to want to live there these days. Very very heavily family oriented area. Very good schools around as well.

Working in Mac Park wont be an issue from the Hills. Its not that far and you have metro from Norwest going directly to Mac Park. Going to CBD metro is also an option.

Dont you guys have WFH? Pretty much every company is doing it now and if they are not then I honestly believe your company is falling behind others. Its big benefit to all plus saves huge amounts of commute time. I've been encouraging my entire team to work remotely everyday or otherwise go to the nearest small office. No need to come into the CBD anymore. I told them I dont want them to waste their time waking up at 6am in the morning and spending 2hrs travelling. Get some more sleep until 7.30am and work more efficiently when you do start working around 8.30 or 9.

Schofields is still a distance even from the Hills area. M7 will take you around 15-20mins drive anyway but you'll get a very very very nice house out there for your budget.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Edit: hmmmm, nothing for sale in North Epping under 1.6 mill at the moment! You could try talking with the local agents.... or letter box drop the neighbourhood.

Check out North Epping! It will tick your boxes. Very family friendly, zoned for good schools, great community, easy to go for bush walks, lovely bird life, access to train station (recommend you ride push bikes), very green....

Buy a 3 bedroom house, and maybe add a bedroom down the track.
    The homes around here all tend to have at least 700 square metres of land or more. Great neighbours. Easy access heading east, you don’t have to get over the train line.

Seriously, have a look, and I’ll even happy guide you on a riding tour of the suburb on bike if you like, it’s really quiet. Just a bit hilly in parts :)

Castle Hill is also good (I have a sister living there). Her understanding is, prices are climbing there right now. An agent reckons she could sell her home there now for 2.1 mill...

Last edited: 25th Jan, 2021
  6. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

You could get a house for that price on the northern line - Hornsby, Pennant Hills, Thornleigh - first two much better now the northconnex tunnel has opened.

Change at Epping for Metro to Macquarie Park or you can bike through Lane Cove National park.

7. Gockie

They are making the Pennant Hills area much more bike connected to Epping now. Not sure I can find a link for it though.

8. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

I saw that

I’ve got a mountain bike so prefer the National park route to the proposed new bike path. Often do the route from Penno to the end of Derby Street in North Epping and back.

When I lived in Eastwood, I used to go along Terry’s Creek through the National Park to the mTB trails at Westleigh and back.

Gockie likes this.
  9. Gockie

Terry’s creek has a no bikes sign.... but I personally think it should be “give away to pedestrians” :)
    And..... Derby St is technically Epping!
    And... I had no idea of the H2O tracks at Westleigh till someone told me a few months ago. Very good beginner tracks.

10. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

The specs were for a bike and walker trail in Terry’s Creek (see link). The “no bike” rule must be new or perhaps not official but put up by someone who doesn’t like bikes? Although, the last part of the Terry’s Creek track that goes to the National Park has been “no bikes” for quite a while as it’s a National park trail not a fire trail.

Architecture, Building & Construction Suppliers | Architecture & Design

11. Gockie

Yep. This part. But if you go from other entrances with new signs, they don't say no bikes or no dogs.... more like dogs need to be on leashes. Anyway, you can unicycle the whole thing, as unicycles are not considered as bikes. :) 20201223_134949.jpg 20201223_134152.jpg
    20201230_153942.jpg 20201223_133134.jpg

Last edited: 25th Jan, 2021
    Buynow likes this.
  12. Liquidity

Liquidity Well-Known Member

Definitely look at Cherrybrook closely. You can get good school and metro in roughly that price bracket

13. Gockie

Note that most of Cherrybrook is not walking distance to the metro so locals often use the city express bus. But I agree on the school factor.