WA PPOR under 300k in Perth

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kapot, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Would you be willing to go SOR? Como would fit that criteria too.

Kapot likes this.
  3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

It seems pretty well established on here that buying in Nollamara is not the best investment for capital growth.
    I just noted it opens up quite a few sub $300k options.
    My take the further from Mirrabooka and the closer to Tuart Hill McDonald's the better,
    Anywhere in the black area. I like the green area. I just commented I would be happy to live there not that you should buy there. I rent in the area. Nollamara over the other three suburbs near that corner is quite a price reduction.

Propin and Kapot like this.
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Propin and Kapot like this.
  5. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the options in Balcatta and for drawing the "good" areas of Nollamara.
    I can stretch my budget to 350k if this will be necessary.
    I just found out there is a number of sub-350k, 500sqm+ houses in Clarkson suburb. The express train to the city takes 30min, there are many supermarkets, and it is not far from the beach (15min cycling). What do you think about buying house in Clarkson?

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, funny, I thought that this morning too as I was driving past Balcatta Primary School

7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Not Clarkson. Some areas have social issues. Some areas are old and some quite new. Me I would avoid outer suburb homes. However some like outer suburbs. Still lots of vacant land up that way to drive established prices down
    $300k to $350k opens up a lot of options in the CBD to 10km out range.

They are just areas of Nollamara I would be happy to live in but everyone is different.

Ross Forrester and Propin like this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks for that map! I’m looking for my daughter but her budget is on the lower side. I went and checked out Mirrabooka shopping centre a couple of weeks ago to get a feel of the area and it didn’t seem too bad. If we had a bigger budget it would be worth considering. I drive up Main Street most mornings and houses for sale often have bordered up windows. I think there may be a state housing unit complex on the border of Balcatta/Tuart Hill where residents collect junk and make gates out of pallets, trolleys, bins, etc. Curtains out of towels, surfboards, etc. it changes every week! If the good part of Nollamara is a bit cheaper you would possibly have a better lifestyle there but I’m not too familiar with prices and boundaries of these suburbs.
    South end of Main Street is certainly a lot nicer!
    I purchased a villa in Yokine at the beginning of the last cycle and sold it when prices just started to decline. (Mainly because of selling PPOR and cross loan issues and had decided to sell all properties without development potential) There is so many old villas to compete with and so many newer ones every day which I think will keep growth down. Ideally a duplex half, a group of 3 villas or a villa that is a bit unique- eg all villas have Street frontage as well as back courtyard would be the way to go.
    If you could afford a house though it would be worth looking into!

Perthguy and Kapot like this.
  9. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Near the Traffic lights at Main Street/ Morley drive Karrinyup Road intersection is State housing.

Kapot and Propin like this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I like this 28A Wilcock Avenue Balcatta WA 6021 - House for Sale #128561030 - realestate.com.au
    I thought it was under offer recently so deal must have fell through.
    Renovated, 300m2 land. Land sells for about $1k+ per m2 around here (small blocks).
    Depending on buried services only connection is a car port. Redevelopment at some point in the future should be easily possible.

Compares well with.
    Dusting road is Green title what ever value that adds
    38 is a bigger block'
    78 is slightly smaller but like Dusting has a common wall 38 is stand alone

https://www.realestate.com.au/property/24-dusting-rd-balcatta-wa-6021
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property/38-campion-ave-balcatta-wa-6021
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property/78a-campion-ave-balcatta-wa-6021

If I remember correctly listed at about $280kish
    2 (Lot 333) Sylvia Street, Balcatta, WA 6021 - Property Details

Last edited: 23rd Sep, 2018
    Perthguy, Kapot and Propin like this.
  11. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Propin likes this.
  12. Ketsle

Ketsle Well-Known Member

Don't forget Ozzy park has a large commercial contingent. Those crime stats could be getting skewed by commercial break ins. Warehouses are rife for thieves.

Does anyone know if resi/commercial are lumped together?

Kapot likes this.
  13. Mike Valetta

Mike Valetta Member

+ 2 for Tuart Hill, OP and Joondanna. Have bought in the area recently and think there is good potential. Robinson Oval to be upgraded this November and Stirling to (hopefully) endorse the Main Street town centre plan before the year is out. As someone else said little lebanon should add 5k on to the asking price. Get around it.

Kapot and JL1 like this.
  14. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on the town centre masterplan. they've released a number of them over the last 15 years, community backlash has been incredible. The plan for main street used to be mid-rise all the way down with single lane and roadside parking similar to Angove Street. The council actually went as far as to reclaim 5m of land from my folks' front yard and other Main Street addresses, but that was over 10 years ago. They've since reduced development potential along main street from multi-resi to mostly grouped dwellings, and have limited development in the suburban streets due to local residents' concerns about the amount of street parking. Not to say a revolution won't happen in the area, but it is still a long way off yet. Everyone wants it, but no one wants it on their street.

The development there I'm most excited for is the strip of land on scarb beach road between Jugan and Brady. The land is currently on the market with planning guidance for a 7 storey mixed use development, which could put as many as 200 apartments in the zone. Again probably 5-10 years out, but at least the planning is already in place..

Kapot, Ross Forrester and Westminster like this.
  15. Big Aussie

Big Aussie Active Member

Like anything, it depends on what you're looking for.
    Do you plan to start a family in this property?
    Are you looking for capital growth? When do you plan to upgrade?
    Are you looking for a bargain?
    Do you care how bad your house and neighbourhood looks?

The issue with 2 bed units around Yokine and Ossie park, is that they are mostly old and cramped, and often built in huge complexes. As a result they are mostly IPs and the tenants are pot luck. Capital growth will be at best average, renovating is mostly a waste, and naturally there is zero redevelopment potential.

There is some good value to be had in Old Wanneroo, Balga, and Girrawheen (/Marrangaroo) where low 300's will get you a reasonable house on a R40 block. My personal pick to live would be Wanneroo, because although the houses are old it is still a family area with a pleasant feel. Balga and Girra have great access to transport, but the gentrification process could take a long, long time.

I would steer clear of Clarkson, etc. The properties at the lower end are awful. Small, cheap, and nasty project homes built 25~30 years ago. And the areas are over-priced for where they are. They will also be the slowest to experience any future capital growth.

Kapot and Perthguy like this.
  16. Mike Valetta

Mike Valetta Member

Have recently been informed the Main Street Urban Design strategy complete with scheme amendment, local development plan and parking strategy will be presented to Council next April 2019. Given i am familiar with the mechanisms of local government planning i would probably add on 3 additional months but the scope and depth of the stategy suggests it wont be glossed over and given serious consideration come Council meeting time. As nice as the osborne park hotel is for a beer after work on a Friday, it (and surrounding properties) are underdeveloped given their proximity to Perth.

Kapot likes this.
  17. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

The other good thing is that Tuart Hill and Joondanna have taken some massive hits even in the last year.

Units down 20-25% in the last 18 months alone. I would put that down to the investor sell off that (I think) has been happening in earnest for about a year now.

I suspect it’s not going to fall much further if at all.

Providing you can get a decent unit ( think villa in small complex with either street frontage or at the back and not overlooked with a bit of a garden) and you are buying into a very settled area, close to the city with heaps of amenity. I’d steer clear of any of the older stuff.

Stock on the market is falling and the rental vacancy rate is now below 4% in 6060.

So, yeah, on balance not a bad time to be seriously looking in those areas.

Kapot and Perthguy like this.
  18. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

Osborne Park Hotel is a ******** in my opinion.

In fact, that whole block needs a wrecking ball put through it.

The shopping centre the IGA is in and the other buildings on that site are years past their sell buy date.

In addition, the shopping precinct around the main street/ Royal Street intersection is everything that was wrong about mid 20th century urban design: a busy four land road, bounded by car parks beside a few shops and restaurants. Badly needs a redesign to make it a place people would actually go to and relax.

Kapot and JL1 like this.
  19. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your answers!

How new should be a property to be not considered as old? Would a "year built, 2000+" be a good criterion?

20. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I think you should focus on what the layout and style is like rather than strictly applying a rule about age.

There's some late 90s stuff that has aged horribly and then also some 70s stuff that is great.

Propin and Perthguy like this.