WA PPOR under 300k in Perth

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Kapot, 17th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Hello everyone. I am looking to buy a PPOR in Perth under 300k in 3-6 months. Currently, I am considering two bedroom villas in Yokine and Bayswater, and apartments in Wembley and Maylands. I like living near parks and water (river/lake) for walking. Also, I prefer to use public transport for going to job in Crawley. No kids so far, but we are planning to have some within 2-3 years. Also, we would like to be able to have a cat (which might be a problem in some apartments).
    Could you please recommend me what and where it is better to buy in my case?

2. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Crawley. If you move out you will never have trouble renting it.

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Kapot likes this.
  4. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

There are no two-bedders under 300k in Crawley, unfortunately.

5. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thank you for this suggestion. How would you compare this villa with similar ones along Flinders street in Yokine? There is a quick (~15min) ride to the city on the bus 970. For example, 2/201 Royal Street Yokine WA 6060 - Villa for Sale #128727430 - realestate.com.au

6. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

7. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

+1 vote to the Joondanna/Tuart Hill/Osborne Park area. I lived there a few years and found it unbeatable for the price. Earlier this year a 2 bed villa went for like $190k in livable condition. $300k would give you decent selection.

I always said it was "nowhere that is 15 minutes to anywhere". 7km to each of the city and scarborough, glendalough station, freeway and wanneroo road access, and walking distance to the entertainment strips on scarborough beach road / Oxford Street (at least by my standards, but i'll walk/ride most places). Also very near Little Lebanon which to me is a sales point in its own.

Future planning for kids I'm not sure how the schools are in the area, but definitely not a neighbourhood where a cat will get a complaint. Just watch the strata fees of some of the units around there which can get a bit excessive.

Kapot likes this.
  8. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

Yep, some fantastic value in those areas at the moment.

9. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thank you for your detailed answer. Indeed, there are some good offers present in Osborne Park. Just I am worry about crime rate in that suburb. According to Perth crime map, Osborne Park is in the top ten of the "most crime" suburbs in Perth (Perth Crime Map). Do you know how this statistics reflects the real crime situation there?

10. DAZ79

DAZ79 Well-Known Member

Of those suburbs Osborne park would be the poorer cousin. Joondanna, Yokine and Tuart Hill ( south of Royal Street particularly) are better.

Kapot likes this.
  11. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

I lived on main street for around 3 years, my folks there for around 9 in total. The house had an open driveway into the back garden and one evening i did have a bike stolen that was unlocked by the back door. Other than that no problem. Never felt uneasy walking the streets and never really saw anything that looked like trouble. overall quite a suburban feel to it considering the population density there.

I moved to Scarborough after that and a few times there had druggies knocking on the door, people doing burnouts in the street, and once a cop to ask about a forced entry burglary a few doors down. I had a friend in Embleton who went away for a week and came back to his house totally gutted of all assets, and a friend in Ashby who's car was stolen from his driveway.

All anecdotal, but the point is in my experience, Osborne Park was no less safe than any other "dense" suburb (not that Ashby counts..). For $300k you're hardly going to get prime crime rates, just be smart about locking doors and not leaving valuables outside. Wouldn't be surprised if those crime stats were high in domestic violence and minor drug use.

can't disagree with this. Joondanna would be my pick of the bunch.

Kapot likes this.
  12. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Touche'.......I was looking at 1beds

13. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

Thank you for your information!

14. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I would look at your wants.
    Close to a public open space to walk/exercise.
    Regular public transport to take you to work in a reasonable time.
    I like within 1.5km to a IGA/Coles/Wollies so i can ride my bike to shops.
    Parking for 2 cars is nice and space for guest parking.
    Looking at links. Would tile paint and new vanity and basin freshen up bathroom. Are you happy with kitchen etc
    Outdoor space. Room for a outside cat enclose and outdoor living if important to you.
    I could live in both areas linked but Joondanna is a little more "inner city"
    What does your strata fee get you? $1600 probably pays your $400 building insurance. That $100 a month is more you could pay off your loan.
    Land is what has value.

Kapot likes this.
  15. Kapot

Kapot Well-Known Member

16. Rentvester

Rentvester Well-Known Member

Just save up or look at other states IMO. If you are thinking of the future growth, established house with bigger land would be a go to.

17. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

The Canterbury Court unit is a duplex with a common wall and the other unit faces Wanneroo road but yes it is on a "big" block.

Nollamara is not a popular suburb on here. Do a search. However the suburb opens up a lot of sub $300k options.

I am guessing you have read these threads.
    WA - Post a Bargain - Perth 2018
    WA - Perth market 2018

I live near here and would happily live in the narrow strip south of Amelia Street near Wanneroo road or the south west corner of the suburb. These areas have been developed over a long period so a diversity of dwelling type and age.

If you are sticking to $300k a lot to think about. From what I have learn on here Joondanna is probably the better suburb but a trade off for location vs dwelling age/condition. Ultimately you are buying somewhere to live that hopefully in the future will appeal to another buyer as a place to live.

Kapot and Propin like this.
  18. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

The problem with a lot of villa’s in Yokine, etc is they are on busy streets and only allow for parking for one car. If two people in the unit have cars they usually use the visitor parking, which doesn’t allow you to have visitors. Spoilt for choice if you only have one car though!

Last edited: 20th Sep, 2018
    Kapot likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Trying to follow your directions! A map would help! Here?? B82E8E7A-432C-48B9-ABCC-525D1C30A65B.png

20. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.