Ppor subdivision

Discussion in 'Development' started by Joshwaaaa, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimonKia

SimonKia Active Member

Any updates? Hows it coming along?

2. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

Had handover last week. However kitchen bench tops are all getting replaced this Wednesday, one of their tradies managed to chip it all pretty badly.

Carpet is going in to the bedrooms today, so i spent my weekend doing all the flooring through the rest of the house on the weekend. FB_IMG_1437957501519.jpg FB_IMG_1437957469595.jpg

My other half pretty much had to take over the site supervisor role the last couple weeks and organise all the trades to fix their stuff ups as the ss made lots of promises but didnt deliver on any.

When i find some spare time I'll take some decent pics of the finished product.

3. Joshwaaaa

2FAST4U and Westminster like this.
  4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Congrats! Great job

Are you moving into the new one? Hence your own design?

The old place you sold looks nice and neat too,well done.

Have you been down there long? My Mrs had a friend that just moved to Port nouralunga. Always liked Adelaide, wouldn't mind living there

5. Joshwaaaa

I pretty much grew up in the area, moved away in my teens and bought into the area in my 20's as it was a pretty affordable area not too far away everything I enjoy, beaches etc. Port noarlunga is a nice place good beaches, cafes and plenty of up and coming development.

Yeah we are living in the new place, just for the short term. As soon as we get around to finishing all the landscaping we will be on the lookout for our "forever" ppor.

2FAST4U and bob shovel like this.
  6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

just saw this tread and while reading i was going to ask why dont you move into the new place
    and you have :)

I might be wrong here but i dont think you need to pay any cgt. The existing house was your PPOR hence exempt and your new house (i assume it only became an asset after you subdivided) has also become your PPOR and hence also exempt

From the numbers you posted if you sold the new house first and stayed in the existing the money your recieve after sale of the new house after selling cost and tax would have been same

7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

does your old house have an undercover parking space?

if not lucky your council didnt ask for one, most do with subdivisions and dual occs

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good stuff!will the forever house be around there?
    McLaren Vale is wine country isn't it?

9. Joshwaaaa

it sure is, that the direction we are heading, not much of a wine drinker myself but it's some nice country up that way. Misses has a few horses and I like my toys so aiming for acreage, whether we can get anything suitable in our price bracket is another question.

Building and selling a brand new house will trigger GST, would be better off just selling land alone. And ATO is tight on cgt when it comes to subdivisions, it has to be paid on one or the other even if both become ppor at some point. I'm a bit daft when it comes to numbers but the accountant has been over it with me and it makes sense and I dont think it's going to be too bad overall.

bob shovel likes this.
  10. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Why would it be brand new? You are living in it aren't you, pretty sure that makes it second hand? Do you currently claim PPOR on any other property? Why cant you claim PPOR on your new digs? You planned to live in the new house, which you do and now your circumstances have changed, I am yet to see a law that forbids changing your mind.........I would seek further advice.

11. Joshwaaaa

I was responding to this comment from gach2,

"From the numbers you posted if you sold the new house first and stayed in the existing the money your recieve after sale of the new house after selling cost and tax would have been same"

it would be brand new in that case. But yes the new place is our current ppor which will be cgt free, however we still need to pay cgt on the existing which we just sold

12. Joshwaaaa

13. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

im not sure if thats 100% correct but ive just skimmed it, will look into it in the future

thanks for the link

14. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

HI josh - where did you end up putting the garage or carport for the 1st original dwelling?

15. Joshwaaaa

Don't need one, only need off street parking for 1 car for a three bedroom house. Onkaparinga council is probably one of the most lenient on development here.

16. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Good job @Joshwaaaa. It will give you a good boost onto the next property

Joshwaaaa likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.