VIC PPOR Sub $1mil Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by hvdw87, 27th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

First time poster and wanted to thank everyone for the very informative forum.

I am looking at purchasing a PPOR at the back end of this year in Melbourne and have purchasing power around the $1mil range (obviously I want to spend as little as possible). I work in the CBD and my partner works in Camberwell with the vast majority of our friends and family living in the south east or east. Public transport access (particularly train) is a must for us and ideally I would like to be in the 30-45minute door to door journey time. We are also looking at starting a family within the next couple of years, so ideally purchasing something that will be substantial enough for that and is placed in a good public secondary school zone will be beneficial.

I am currently looking at houses in Cheltenham as it has the express train service, good parks, seemingly good public schools and has struggled at auction for the past 6 months or so. As I said earlier based on our lifestyle the south to the east is probably where we would ideally be looking, but I don't necessarily want to limit myself to just those areas.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated

2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Cheltenham is good one actually and it's not that far from water, cbd and other amenities..

Neighbouring suburbs have done relatively well and are bit more expensive (likes of Highett, Beaumaris, Blackrock which makes it good from investment perspective too..

Other areas worth looking into are Mulgrave, wheelers hill. If partner is working in camberwell, probably easier from Cheltenham and surrounds to tbh..

Bentleigh east is another option but possibly little tight on budget. New executive style townhouses with really good end product are selling for around $1.3ish million.

tommo c likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No idea with regards to school, but I think it would be logical to stay on the Belgrave/Lilydale line as you get both Camberwell and CBD. Express trains in the morning run Box Hill > Camby > Richmond which makes the travel fast.

Maybe look around Ringwood/Mitcham - because going to Cambywell from bayside can be a slog by road in peak.

The Y-man

Hamish Blair and johnmteliza like this.
  4. The Y-man

If the wife doesn't mind driving 30 min to Camberwell (really bad traffic on Canterbury rd after maling on school days), have a look at Doncaster/Doncaster East walking distance to Doncaster Rd or Whetherby Rd or Blackburn Road. Freeway buses take you into CBD 45 min.

The Y-man

5. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Why not outer east, eg around Ringwood/Croydon/Boronia, so you can take the same train together?

Or Vermont South way? There's a tram to Camberwell but the CBD commute from there isn't so fast.

6. The Y-man

Yeah, I reckon if you leave 7:00am Monday, you should get to Camberwell by 5:00pm Friday (in the same week).

The Y-man

Ian87 and TMNT like this.
  7. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Yes one of our concerns with Cheltenham is the drive to Camberwell. Fortunately she is a shift worker and rarely commutes during the peaks, so that does help a little. Having a look at the travel time, it looks like it would average between 30-40mins which would be manageable.

Having grown up in Croydon Hills, I don't mind that Ringwood/Mitcham area and if you can get yourself in the Ringwood Secondary zone, then I think its a great spot, however it just feels a little overpriced to me when compared to Cheltenham given it has similar amenity, transport options etc. Still I will be keeping an eye out there.

8. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

A train line is a big must have for me. I really want to be within 1km of a station. I used to live in Bulleen and caught that bus a few times and wouldnt be keen on doing that in the long term.

Unfortunately a train connection to Doncaster is not on the horizon either.

9. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Vermont South falls very much into that Doncaster bracket for me, too far from good public transport.

I quite like Bentleigh East as a suburb, the block between East Boundary/North/Mackie/Centre, where the government has committed the second campus for McKinnon Secondary to go. But the big issue there for me is the lack of public transport.

10. MichaelGarland

MichaelGarland Well-Known Member

Anything Templestowe or Templestowe Lower . Very safe and quiet here.

11. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I like Templestowe, but no train line and a very long way away from any train line.

12. MichaelGarland

Okay fair enough
    Yea it depends on your working hours. I usually drive to work in Southbank but I don’t work 9-5 hours so it’s easier than peak hour driving. I found the buses easy from park and ride and don’t take that long. Buses are full in morning but I guess the trains would be full too at peak hour times..

13. The Y-man

That's the good thing about Donvale - 907 is empty where I get on :D
    New busway coming soon too so hopefully sorts out the stupid bus lane crossovers at bulleen rd....

The Y-man

14. MichaelGarland

Yes if i catch 908 to city in morning I make sure I get on before park and ride lol. But the 908 goes direct to city in morning so I don’t need change to 907 at park ride ....

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Speaking of templestowe

I couldnt believe templestowe was on the worst suburbs list! Article from yesterday

Suburbs where property investors should sell

16. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

What sort of property would you consider, a house, or a townhouse that also has a small amount of land for the future family?

17. MichaelGarland

Yea but they were so expensive to begin with . 780k for a 2 or 3 bed villa unit is expensive even if it’s a great area...

18. tommo c

tommo c Well-Known Member

Can definitely recommend Cheltenham. My partner works in Ashburton, I work in the city, and the commute is very easy both ways.

Weekends are fantastic being a 3min drive to the water as well.

19. The Y-man

Well you can experience Outback Australia in Melb Metro area on what remains of my front lawn so there! :D

The Y-man

Westie likes this.
  20. The Y-man

Yep, off peak and outside of school drop-off/pick-up times should be fine.

The Y-man