PPoR sight unseen

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Hodor, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Went unconditional on a PPoR today. I still haven't been inside (have driven past/looked through windows) it as we offered and exchanged before the first open house, my GF made the open house after exchange and we had a building and pest etc done. I'm not too concerned as the b&p was satisfactory and we will renovating every room so condition wasn't really an issue. We just wanted an affordable canvas in the area we needed to buy in.

Obviously I'm pretty excited and a little bit nervous, the reason we offered before the first open was to get into the hot Sydney market. Not my ideal timing for a place but Hodor needs a home :) we aren't planning to sell so CG wasn't too much on the mind, just something we could comfortably afford.

I've heard of buying an IP sight unseen but I haven't read stories of people buying their home without seeing it. Am I alone here?

Once we get possession I'll add some photos and hopefully start a reno thread. Might be a slow moving thread as we'll be doing the work as dollars become available. My to do list has over 60 items on it already :oops:

MTR and Heinz57 like this.
  2. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

If I had to purchase a PPOR I would at least need to see pictures & a floor plan with room sizes.

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

How brave. But you know, sometimes you just have to dive in. I hope you will be very happy in your new home.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Hodor

Congratulations!!!!

Good luck with reno...

If you are happy with floor plans, cosmetic reno won't be that difficult.

5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Well if you've driven past and looked in the windows,technically it's not unseen.
    And if you are going to renovate every room, the risk of any issues inside is quite small, so you should be fine.

6. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Good point ace. Just funny when people ask what the kitchen is like and all I can say is, "um, old".

Be developer, you make Reno's sound so easy. Think the gf wants a few walls moved, spoken with a builder, who based on my description and floor plans, thinks it'll be fine.

7. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Congratulations @Hodor - very exciting :)

Early 2014 we bought our PPOR block (incl red brick and tile house) in a matter of hours before the property hit the market. Agent told us at 3pm; we drove past after work in the evening. Agent was showing to someone else at 8pm when we called him, so we went over - we had not even had dinner. Looked at the backyard in the dark, and had contracts exchanged at 10pm that night.

I think when you know it is the right property and right location for you, it doesn't take much to make a decision.

Gockie and Hodor like this.
  8. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

I purchased a PPOR 3 years ago sight unseen it was in a different state where I had a new job... I couldn't travel there at the time... I found it online, fit the requirements to a tee....

I did have a friend who lived in that city go to the open house for me - had the same friend bid at the auction on my behalf a week later ( I was giving her my bids via phone)

Great place! Lived in it for 14 months before I ended up moving back to Syd.... So it's One of my IPs now

I can still remember stopping in at the real estate office to collect the keys after settlement and having to ask for directions to my townhouse as I'd still not been there

Property Twins likes this.
  9. swanqueen

swanqueen Well-Known Member

Congrats Hodor!

I reckon you only need the wife's okay to buy a PPOR - if she likes it, you won't need to see it :p

Gockie likes this.