PPOR reno - how to get a vague estimate of cost before purchase

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by fcr, 13th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fcr

fcr Member

I am looking to buy my PPOR in Sydney and have come across a potential house which would need a reno, including an extension.

The existing house is 1.5 beds, 60 square metres, pretty run down but probably fine structurally (obviously I will get a building and pest).

The ideal reno would turn it into a 3 bed house, and add maybe 55 square metres to what's already there. The extension would be the kitchen plus living room, and I would re-do the existing bathroom, and cosmetically renovate what's already there i.e. paint and carpet. The current living room becomes a bedroom without needing to do anything to it.

Assume that council approval process is smooth. What I have in mind does not take the house any closer to the boundaries of the property than where it already is (i.e. the extension would simply take the house further into the back yard and there's heaps of space to go back).

I know this question is like how long is a piece of string.

If you were me, how would you go about getting a vague idea of cost? I only want to buy the house if I can get it cheap enough to leave room in my budget for the extension, so I need to get an idea of range of cost somehow. However, I can hardly ask for a quote of an extension that hasn't been planned on a house I haven't bought yet!

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can you demolish the existing house?

It is so small that a complete rebuild may work out better and cheaper than having to design around the existing space.
    Mag

Joynz likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

And be aware that if the existing house is too close to either boundary, you may not be able to add to it without making the addition narrower (to fit the current code).

We've had that happen ourselves, and our son recently had to go to Qcat to fight an objection to try to force him to move the house over (to suit current code) as he was raising it.

I'd ask a local builder for a ballpark figure. You don't have to own it to ask the question.

4. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Given you don't have plans or anything like that, it's hard for a builder to give any sort of ballpark figure.
    If you are looking at doing something modest and not getting a fancy architect involved, the following might be a good guide:
    - $1,000 per square metre to renovate the existing building.
    - $2,000 per square metre to add an extension if that extension is just living rooms.
    - $3-4,000 per square metre if the extension is going to have a new bathroom and kitchen.

5. fcr

fcr Member

Oh man... probably, but if demolish and re-build would be cheaper than extending... then it sounds like the whole thing will be highly expensive!

6. fcr

fcr Member

This is very helpful, thank you!

7. fcr

fcr Member

This is good to know. The house is close to the boundaries of the property already so this may be a concern.