PPOR - Reno Advice - widen doorways / level floor / kitchen/bathroom

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by JonoD, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Hi All

Looking to gather some thoughts on a few changes to my PPOR a 3 bed, 2 Bath garden apartment in Sydney's lower north shore. Purchased 5 years back ( was an IP for a couple of years whilst interstate).

I've already landscaped courtyard ( new deck and lawn, mini outdoor kitchen ) and updated all lighting, blinds and painting. Next on the list are:

1. Full new kitchen ( current one quite dated). Small 3.6 x2 with 2 doors( see plan)
    2. New main bathroom ( inc laundry, just a stacked washer/dryer) 1.8 x 2.7m
    3. Ensuite update to style of new main bath ( it's only 8 years old but it'll look odd if the styles don't match) 1.1 x 2.3. Ensuite and WIR were created out of a large master 8 years back, prior to this the master had 2 entry doors, the old door is now a bookcase to the hall... Works fine....
    4. So, the one remaining door comes off the dining room ( or sunroom) and is glass... For privacy a curtain is added... I'm thinking of frosting the glass? Ur replacing with a new door?
    5. The room on the plan noted as dining room (3.9 X1.8 m) is oddly a lower height than the rest of the flat, 15 to 16 cm lower, means to go from the lounge to the master you step down then up... Plus the timber floor is different in this room. I'd like to raise this floor and use the same timber, create better flow... There would need to be a small cutout still in the room to allow you to step down to exit to the patio ( to raise the height of the patio doors to avoid a cutout would require supporting lintel change ( 2 floors above me)...
    6. Lastly.... There is an option to expand the gap between dining room and lounge to make one bigger room - though this would require engineer and supporting beam so likely exe and I'm not convinced I'd get value payback?

I'm also installing ducted a/c and heating shortly. It's a 1920 Art Deco building (3 stories) triple brick external walls and double brick internal walls. Works are partly for our personal enjoyment but also to add value to use in my overall portfolio

I'm keen on people's thoughts on above works, what would you do or not do, what would you budget? I'm keen to do 1-3 in the next 4 to 6 months... Then 5

Attached Files:

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Good plan! took me a while to work out the layout but got there.... i think.

1.What is that door out of the kitchen for?? Can you block it off for better use of the kicthen?
    2. yep.
    3.I dont think the ensuite needs to match the main bathroom. so perhaps hold off on the ensuite to save cash. and you have a fair bit to do!
    4. are you talking about the door to outside? Just get a curtain or a sheer curtin thing, the white lacey type ones for a bit of privacy and fancyness. $20 from ikea i think
    5. get that done, the drop in level looks annoying!
    6. is the current "dining room" actually practical as it is? looks like an odd size. id investigate the idea. dont open it all the way as with the 3 levels on top it could become quite a mission. i think there could be a good compromise there and may be cheaper than you think. Look at extending the opening say 500mm each way. at a guesstimate that would give you a nib on each side of around 800mm. and while your at it raise it up higher. that will open it up heaps. it looks like you get some good sun in that back window.
    engineer plans $500
    Beam $300
    Install. say $3k
    Could get away with it for under $5k possibly. Could really open the place up too and make better use of that dining room

3. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Cheers! Appreciate the input!

- . Yeah the door out of the kitchen goes to a common balcony/deck ( water views) and access to a storage room... I'd thought of blocking it off but on balance likely keep it as a door.
    - yeah I may end up deferring the ensuite ( it's in good Nic)
    - nope, was the single door you can see in the photo to the master that I think is odd, glass door to a bedroom?

Yep I'll explore the costs on opening that wall.... It'll come down to how much kitchen and bathroom costs me

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Ahh, glass door to the boudoir. Get rid of it. Get a new timber door.
    when looking at removing walls, could you remove the kitchen wall (or part of) on the bathroom side to open it up more, I'd imagine it's a bit tight in there.
    Even go nuts and do something with the wall with the pantries at the entry side, try and open it up more somehow.
    But those walls could be an issue, get a builder to come round and suss out ideas.
    kitchen, check out ikea. If your handy shouldn't cost much. Under 5k
    Bathroom, check out robbie p's thread where I've been posting for costs and ideas

JonoD likes this.
  5. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Cheers, been reading the bathroom thread too very helpful...

6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

You would be able to match the time in cedar from this site they cover most Australian building periods,high quality gear that adds value to most properties,. and still Australian made ..imho..
    http://www.woodworkers.com.au/doors/bifold-doors

JonoD likes this.
  7. JonoD

JonoD Active Member

Had 3 AC guys quote / provide solution ideas this week... All slightly different...very helpful getting the different ideas. I'm putting in a ducted reverse cycle system, vents via floor ( no real roof access)... Most rooms are easy - kitchen and 1 bedroom have a slab to drill through.

After this info, I'll sequence the AC install after kitchen Reno and dining room floor raise ( will make the install easier)