PPOR Project

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Tim86, 5th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Been going through hell lately trying to get this final.

Certifier started off telling me I needed an engineer for the framing inspection and footing inspections. Both things I got the certifier to do.

They asked for this because the certifier had another guy working for him do the first framing inspection, but he left. And they didnt have completed paperwork from him.

Then with the footings, the stump holes were drawn on the plan wrong. They didnt line up with the measurements on the plan. So my certifier miscounted when he was doing the footing inspection and didnt mark off the last row. So he has come back saying I added another row without getting it inspected and need and engineer to sign off now.

After lots of emails and a meeting he has decided to come again to reinspect next week.

And thats just been the start of the issues. They've been asking for things like the as2047 from the manufacturer of my windows and doors. Thats for wind ratings etc... but all my windows and doors are custom or recycled or made on site or heritage etc.... one door is 100 years old... So its a bit hard to get the manufacturer to issue a certificate for that.

Turns out in this case the as 2047 is exempt. But Ive been getting requests for it anyway. Seems like they have dropped this request now though.

But its just one thing after another with stuff like this. Trying to answer all their requests and sort out all the misunderstandings etc... chasing up glaziers because writing "all glass in house complies with as1288" wasnt good enough. Need to also say shower screens. Then that wasnt good enough because it had my address on it but not the lot and plan number. 8 emails back and forth for the safety glass cert. 8 emails back and forth for the form 15 for the glass balustrade. Had to get a building approval for my portable spa... soooo many things Ive had to follow up. Been ridiculously stressful.

Some are genuine requests and are fair enough. But there's been so many misunderstandings.

Have had hardly any time with my son, which really sucks.

I hope everything gets sorted Tuesday next week. I run out of planning permission at the end of next week. So I need that final.

Really been regretting this build lately. Its so true what they say about how the things you own end up owning you. And this house has owned my life for the last 6 years. Definitely should have kept it more simple and just adjusted my expectations.

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just one last km to go with the house @Tim86, hang in there.
    You'll have time with your son, and from what I was told, if you're lucky those time will make the house build look easy ;)

Tim86 likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hang in there. You’ve created a beautiful nest for your family to thrive in.

Don’t underestimate the effect of post-birth blues - combined with the exhaustion that comes with a new baby, and trying to support an exhausted partner and get over the last building hurdles.

Almost there.

wylie likes this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

What you have done with this house is nothing short of mind-blowing, don't give up on making it everything you ever wanted it to be, and don't regret any of it!

Sounds like we're coming to the light at the end of the tunnel!

Tim86 and Optimus like this.
  5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

GOT THE FINAL!

6. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

Congrats, must be a huge relief. Now go enjoy that baby :)

Tim86 likes this.
  7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I second that. Relax and enjoy your first unforgettable Christmas as a family. :)

Tim86 likes this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yay it's such a load off

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yeah Im looking forward to it :)

10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Still some jobs to finish off. Lots of painting to do. Got to build the bar, car port, shed, finish up the gym and make that nice, etc... But to get to this point now where the house has it's final and I can have a bit of a break is amazing. Still can't quite believe it.

To this point including the original $412 000 purchase price, the total spend would be about $700 000. That paid for the house and land. The reno of the existing 100m2 house and the 400m2 extension. And the swim spa and all the furniture oven fridge etc...

Pretty good value. Plus we rented out rooms downstairs for a while there and made $60k from that. So that brings it down to 640k that the house really owes us.

Not too bad for a 500+m2 house on a big block 12km from the cbd.

All it took was a "little" diy... 20181222_143907.jpg 20181222_143941.jpg 20181222_144018.jpg 20181222_144200.jpg 20181222_144333.jpg

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia