PPOR - losing deposit (Wollongong)

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by thunder, 16th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. thunder

thunder New Member

Hi there

I am in the unfortunate position of potentially backing out of a purchase of a PPOR. At this point I am staring at the possibility of losing the initial deposit.
    Whilst I need to accept that, I am wondering if there are any tax implications for me?

If anyone else has been in this situation I would really appreciate your feedback.

Yes it is a difficult situation and I am simply trying to navigate it the best that I can.

Thanks for your help.

2. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If you lose money on your main residence, including the deposit, you cannot enjoy any tax relief as a result (sadly).

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

If the cooling off period has past you could stand to lose far more than just the deposit !

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Is this nsw and are you referring to the 0.25%?

5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2022
    Terry_w likes this.
  6. thunder

thunder New Member

Thanks all for the replies.

Trainee - yes this is NSW and not it’s the 10% deposit as was purchased at auction.

Mike A - I had a read through and trying to wrap my head around it! From what is written this relates to a CGT event with a loss?
    For clarity I have a home which I am about to sell, and hadn’t yet decided whether or not to rentvest or move into the new property.
    If the article linked above does apply, does that rule out taking a tax loss against regular income?

Apologies for all of the questions and thanks in advance!

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Go see a solicitor. You can be sued for more than just the 10% deposit. I had a former client fail to settle and he paid $100K on top of the 10% to avoid being sued. And had hefty legal bills
    Google the example of actor Toni Collette and a failed purchase.

If the article linked above does apply, does that rule out taking a tax loss against regular income? Absolutely no way it offsets regular income. Capital losses only offset capital gains. Can be carried fwd indefinately.

8. thunder

thunder New Member

Thanks Paul