PPOR loan to construction loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Rits, 5th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rits

Rits New Member

I just signed up for a PPOR purchase loan with AMP with 2yr fixed and variable split.

Hoping to start a knockdown rebuild in 12 months time to replace the old house. I will need further finance of ~$200k over the current loan to partly pay for the rebuild.

Hoping to stick with AMP but curious how would the new loan get structured? Do I just ask for an additional $200k loan for construction or does the original loan fully switch to a construction loan?

I expect be under 80% lvr for the end value of the rebuild house.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

As an aside AMP dont even like their construction product, but their Master Limit is Ants Pants for Active debt recycling.

A build loan is normally a separate loan added to the existing,

Be mindful that you will very likely need to actually reduce the current loans before construction, because once the house is demoed u then only have land content to support the loan, so hopefully your variable split is a decent size

ta
    rolf

Tony Xia likes this.
  3. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Rolf is correct, AMP doesn't have the best construction loan product.

On top of that you'd need to obtain a higher valuation so your "As if complete" valuation with the new build comes back higher so your total loan is 80% of the value of the property, unless you want to pay LMI.