PPOR loan loan split to convert to IP

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by RichardN, 8th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

A bit of background.

I had my PPOR loan with ING with the balance of 323k and 169k as refinanced amount for future use. When I moved from ING to Westpac a couple of years ago, my broker did the following splits.

Loan 1: 290k
    Loan 2: 203k

An year ago, again I did the split of loan 2 for other investment purposes as below.

Loan 2: ~ 60K
    Loan 3: ~140k

After a couple of years (now), I have decided to convert my PPOR to IP and i dont have exact nunbers on how much is the left over debt on my PPOR. To clean up this, I am thinking to adjust the loan balances to reflect the loan 1 as purely PPOR loan so it will be easy to claim deductable interest when i convert PPOR to IP but I don't know the exact loan balance on PPOR.

Pls advise if it should be the exact PPOR unpaid balance as ATO might audit in future of they think I am claiming more deductible interest than what its supposed to be. If they audit, how do they know exact number unless I give them and I might not have these numbers handy in future.

Is it ok if I adjust the loan 1 with plus or minus 10k.

Sorry for long story and thanks for reading. Pls let me know if I am missing to provide any info here.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2019
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It is not just adjusting the balances that are important but splitting the mixed portions into separate loans. Adjusting balances may just mix it further.

seek specific tax advice.

Last edited: 8th Apr, 2019
  3. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry for reply.
    Appreciate any inputs from other forum members if they have gone through this situation.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia