NSW PPOR in sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Hei, 15th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hei

Hei Member

Hi all,

I am wanting some advise on the Sydney market.
    We are looking to purchase our next family home in Sydney with a budget of 1.5-1.7m for a 3-4 bedroom house. One complication is that we need to either buy one that has a separate self contained flat or we need to build one for mum who lives with us.

We have been searching around Ryde and surrounding areas (anywhere lower and upper north shore)but haven’t had much of luck.
    We also spoke to a buyers agent who basically told us this requirement is going to be hard to meet and as a result they are not keen to take on the hunt.

Are we being unrealistic and unreasonable with this budget? Can you recommended some areas that we should be able to find a nice house in but not too far out?

Thanks heaps!!!

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Had a friend do the same in Pennant Hills, where they modified the home - the house was planned as such it could be done. Now more recently they are doing something similar in Lane Cove. So certainly this can be done. You just need to keep the finger on the pulse and educate the real estate agents on what you want.

When you say "are we being unrealistic and unreasonable" - have you looked at what the more recent sales have been for houses where you COULD have modified?

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Im currently finishing a Granny Flat (detached 2 bedroom) home.

As long as mum lives their its a great seperate home.

Later the house can be Leased out.

So i can. Recommended this option for your requirements.

This will give you more options.

Its a compliant development so providing ruleas are followed a certifier signs off and no need for council approval. Allow 20 weeks feom start to OC.

4. Illusivedreams

Cost is $100-$140,000 all done

Hei and spludgey like this.
  5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon it shouldn't be impossible, but it might be a while until good prospects come up. Look for properties that have rear access so you could build the granny flat yourselves if need be. Or you could letter box drop owners. Otherwise, maybe you could house your mum under the same roof line but in her own self contained space? You might need to look at homes out there and be a bit more creative about it.

Jacque likes this.
  6. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

So you really just need a "Granny Flat"? That should be able to be built on most blocks of decent size. Ryde area may have smaller blocks (that the developers aren't after) than heading further North to the North Shore (the suburbs North of the Lane Cove River, along the rail line) so that may be your best bet for "close to the city". Although the folks on the lower North Shore (Chatswood to the city) think the upper North Shore (Roseville to Waitara) is far enough away to be a trip to the country :)

I dont follow the area but I would think that you may be right at the top of your budget though. Also a lot of this area has blocks that are not flat which could make building a separate dwelling more difficult. I would think that would especially be the case in your price range, may need $2m+. That may be why a buyers agent may be hesitant to take it on. Perhaps the Hills area would work better but you may not want to go that far out?

7. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think that you should also be very clear why you're looking in that specific area (many people aren't when they look for somewhere to live). Some factors that you might want to consider and possibly score are:
    • Travel time to work (at the times that you will be travelling)
    • Proximity to family
    • Block size (if you're going to build a granny flat)
    • Affordability
    • How nice is the area
    • Traffic
    • Etc
    I'm in Carlingford myself and was only able to buy there because we got a house underneath the HV power lines. I work with electricity, so they're of no concern to me.
    I think you might have an easier time finding what you're after if you move away from the city a bit more (plus Parramatta is apparently going to become the second CBD), but this might not work for you in terms of travel time to work and proximity to family.

It's not easy finding a home or an area to start your search in!

Good luck.

8. Hei

Hei Member

There aren’t many properties come up on the search and I can’t see prices of a lot of properties that are sold in the area as they don’t disclose the price. It’s so frustrating when the agent under quote and just ended up wasting time and money on something that we actually couldn’t afford to begin with but looked like we could.

9. Hei

Hei Member

Thank you
    May I ask which area are you looking at and do you have some tips on the sort of blocks that I should be staying away from and lastly will you recommend the builder that you are working with?

10. Hei

Hei Member

The buyers agent basically said anything for this price point in the area potentially have something wrong with it and I’m not super familiar with the sort of things to be looking out for. Happy with creating a floor plan that works for us, I guess some of it is really luck as well.

11. Hei

Hei Member

You are probably right, if I had 2m budget I’m sure this buyers agent would have happily take my case on.
    The next step is to consider going further out if we can’t find anything. I still like the idea of being 20 mins drive to most shops and city. I have also heard from friends that traffic getting out of the hills area is not great which adds additional travel time to work.

12. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You dont have enough money for what you want. Compromise or find more money.

13. Hei

Hei Member

Thank you. Yes the motivates was mostly approximaty to work and having a young family, I really don’t want to spend time on the road more than what I get to spend with my daughter. Haven’t said that we might have to compromise from lack of choices.

How are you finding Carlingford, which side of it are you in.

14. JB40

JB40 Well-Known Member

North Shore is terrible for traffic, probably worse than the Hills with perhaps the exception of Pennant Hills Rd. I think the Hills area will get much better when the rail line and NorthConnex tunnel open but the Pacific Highway will probably get much worse in the near future. Ryde will only get worse too.

Funnily enough, if you're willing to pay tolls the WestConnex will provide quick journeys for other parts of Sydney south of the Parramatta river.

Hei likes this.
  15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

If you work on the city, you'll definitely spend more time in the car commuting from Ryde than you would if you caught the train from further out.

I really like it. I'm on the North Rocks end, so nice big blocks (all above 750m2) and walking distance to the North Rocks shopping centre.
    Convenient for work (I work in Parramatta though) and to get to the city (walking distance to the M2 bus and the next stop is Wynyard), but only outside peak hour.
    More and more Chinese people as well which may be a positive for you (I'm making an assumption based on your username and the fact that your inlaws will be living with you).

So in summary: Carlingford is great if you don't have to get to the city during peak hour.

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The buyers agent you talked to has no clue.

For the 1.5-1.7m budget you will have plenty of choices..if you are prepared to be patient and negotiate hard.

I believe the areas I would look at (houses will need work) are Beecroft, Cheltnam, Epping, Eastwood, Ryde, West Ryde, Meadowbank, North Ryde, Macquarie Park...prices have come off quite a bit there. The house will be on smaller blocks and will be dated....but you should get something..push the price down hard....lots of Baby Boomer who need to downsize..and use funds for purchasing a unit/villa/TH and use extra money to live on.

aving1001, Hei, Eric Wu and 1 other person like this.
  17. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

man, you have eagle eyes. nothing can escape your radar. ( I thought I have a secret plan for myself in these areas, now you made it publicly known, damn it, ;))

Last edited: 17th May, 2018
    Whitecat likes this.
  18. Illusivedreams

I will be finished in 2 weeks or so at that point I can let you know if the builder is good at the moment . They are ok the last 2 week

Look maybe consider a more affordable area the examples below are $950k-$1.5million
    You have to consider areas that are good but not over prices.
    Miranda example at the bottom is an extremely liveable area . Shopping/Trains/Beaches all within 10/15 minutes

24 Mainsbridge Avenue Liverpool NSW 2170 - House for Sale #128000010 - realestate.com.au

[​IMG]

72 Lehmann Avenue Liverpool NSW 2170 - House for Sale #127254462 - realestate.com.au
    [​IMG]

25 Carinya Road Picnic Point NSW 2213 - House for Sale #128239214 - realestate.com.au
    [​IMG]

35 Gwawley Parade Miranda NSW 2228 - House for Sale #127899502 - realestate.com.au
    [​IMG]

Sackie, Hei and Eric Wu like this.
  19. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i think in terms of money and area your pretty much okay.. like others said its coming down abit.. nego hard.. and just wait.. money is in your pocket.. dont be to eager to hand it out.

Hei likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nah Eric...those areas in dropping faster than a lead balloon....lots of older houses requiring renos for under 1.5m now on smaller blocks of land.

Too much supply coming up to make a difference in terms of houses...best investments in these areas are villas....TH...and 3x2x2 units.

Eric Wu likes this.