VIC PPOR in North/North-East Melbourne, $580k budget

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by OolongTea, 19th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. OolongTea

OolongTea New Member

Hi,

My partner and I are currently looking to buy a house/townhouse/unit/villa (not apartment) as a PPOR within 30km of the CBD. We were initially looking in Reservoir for a townhouse/unit with plans on eventually selling (maybe renting it out) and upsizing (currently only have 1 source of income as partner is still studying), but expect to live in this property for at least 5 years. Our main goal was to stop putting money into paying rent and to have our own asset.

Current criteria:
    - Up to $580k budget
    - North/North-East suburbs
    - Minimum 2 bedroom, 1-2 bathroom (w/ bathtub), 1 garage
    - Close to train line
    - Preferably not a narrow/busy road.

We're having some trouble narrowing down a location. For example, is a unit/townhouse in Reservoir a better investment versus a 3 bedroom, 500+sqm house in Thomastown? We were also looking at some units in Diamond Creek, but not sure if that's the best idea for a long term investment. What areas would be good to consider regarding capital gain?

Happy to provide more information if that can be helpful.

Thank you in advance!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't try to look at your PPOR as an investment - it's a lifestyle....if it was an investment, you'd be rentvesting.

The Y-man

OolongTea likes this.
  3. The Y-man

FWIW If you can get a house, get the house - it would be better any day than a unit. Even if it is a house in Epping/Mill park vs a unit in Res, I'd do the house.

The Y-man

OolongTea and Bunbury like this.
  4. The Y-man

5. OolongTea

OolongTea New Member

Thanks for the quick response and the links. We were trending in that direction with our thoughts i.e. why get a unit for a PPOR when we can get a house slightly further out.

Will definitely start looking into areas like Epping more. Having enjoyed living in Craigieburn for the past 3 years, I assume these suburbs aren't too dissimilar.

6. The Y-man

One big difference - I am not sure by which station the seats on the trains fill up, as stations beyond Sth Morang have been brought on line.

C-Burn, you are almost always guaranteed a seat.....

The Y-man

7. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

If you want to be near the train line in north east, it is worth to look at Hurstbridge or Diamond Creek.

MikeyBallarat and OolongTea like this.
  8. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

Watsonia would be possible for an older townhouse or newish villa near the station.

9. Zimplestiltskin

Zimplestiltskin Well-Known Member

10. Robbo80

Robbo80 Well-Known Member

Check out hawkstowe estate in south morang. Bit further out but absolutely has it all - station, playgrounds, parklands, ponds with ducks, brunch at two beans cafe and kangaroos. New build on dixon creek drive for 50k above your budget.

11. SydneytoMelbourne

SydneytoMelbourne Well-Known Member

I grew up on the Hurstbridge train line, and have friends and family up and down the whole line - Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek are great suburbs, very good community feel, but they are very different to Reservoir, which would feel like a typical Melbourne suburb - much closer to the city. Hurstbridge and Diamond Creek definitely start to feel a lot more 'bushy' (technical term), which might be a big plus or a big detractor depending on what you like.

$580k won't get you very much in Watsonia. I am a big fan of the suburb, and have family and friends living here too, but there are parts of it that are a bit sketchy - and I suspect the $580k would find you living in those parts. Friends who bought in cheaper parts of Watsonia are constantly dealing with break in attempts, and it's not ideal.

12. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

I thought Watsonia was overall good. Could you please highlight the bad areas?

13. The Y-man

The bits that'll be dug up for a new toll way? :D:eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

14. Jeff Hassan

Jeff Hassan Active Member

I personally looked at Thomastown for quite some time and I believe due to the 16kms proximity to CBD it will eventually start reaping benefits, however the area seems a bit rough to me.
    Mill park is probably better, if you lived in Cragieburn, epping to some what extend should give you a similar vibe, mostly young families and a younger age group.